Propane burner for a monster of a furnace

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by Cooper Campbell, May 26, 2020.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Well, I'll let the burner aficionados comment further but........

Based on the dimensions of your furnace you have 3.5 ft3 of refractory just in the cylindrical portion of the furnace. Dense castable refractory is 150-175lbs/ft3. The lightest insulating castable (assuming its not wool) is about 75lbs/ft3. If we say average of only 100lbs/ft3 you have at least 350lbs of thermal mass in just your furnace wall. I'm guessing at least another 150-200lb with the base and lid. I bet your crucible weighs at least 60lbs. If you add that up you have at least 500-600lbs of thermal mass. That will take a long time to get to temp even with a big burner and 1gal/hr aint big. 450cfm is way more air than you would ever need for 1 gal/hr but I'm assuming you're pushing more than 1 gal/hr.

Best,
    Kelly

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Was the 1 gal/hr based on your actual consumption? Like Kelly I suspect at 40psi on your atomizing air you should have been pulling a lot more than that. The 1gph rating on a thin fuel like deisel is based on 3psi.
    image.jpeg

There's a pretty good chance that you were running enough fuel and, after 45 minutes of running, your thermal mass should have been overcome. But between the amount of compressed air you were running plus the blower, you may have been cooling the furnace down with too much air. I'm assuming unpressurized fuel.
    Bentation Funksomething is having success with a similar burner setup albeit a somewhat different furnace design, but maybe his current furnace design thread can offer some suggested settings. I think the psi setting should come down and perhaps elevate your tank to allow gravity do more of the work of fuel delivery.

Pete

3. master53yoda

master53yoda Silver

450 cfm is a lot of combustion air, if you are not reaching the temps you want with oil, you probably are diluting the flame temp with to much excess air. if you have a thermocouple get a reading in the exhaust port, I think that you will find that it is way lower then you would expect. after about 15 minutes (depending on insulation etc) it shouild be in the 2500F range or higher. to much excess air reduces the flame temp and overall furnace temp. and efficiency. Heat transfer is dependent on the temp difference between flame temp and the object being heated, the greater the temp difference the more heat is transferred.

Art b

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  4. Currently firing based all yalls recommendations, (less than 10 psi for aersolizing the diesel, lifted the tank, put a speed controller on my blower and brought it way way down) it appears hotter based crucible color but hard to say cause I’m eyeballing during the daytime.
    Flame looks rich though, orange with pink undertones coming out the vent hole.

C

Attached Files:

5. Will post if I get up to temp