Stealing UCO articl

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by HT1, Aug 25, 2019.

1. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Meh.... Some restaurants are all too happy to give the stuff away so they don't have to pay to dispose of it. Some restaurants get paid for the stuff. Depends on the location.
    Taking anything without asking constitutes theft in my mind.

I don't understand the homeland security connection in that article. Seems a missing 75m is peanuts compared to what it costs the US
    in unfettered immigration. Illegals come here to work and do not spend the money here. It gets shipped back home. That is the real crime. 75m is a JOKE!
    More like 120BILLION departed the US economy last year, and we have homeland security chasing used grease thieves? :rolleyes: To put this in perspective, I know people that own three 40million dollar jets.

People need to wake up and not be afraid to speak and confront the real problems head on without fear of offending a few bleeding hearts...
    Remember, Love thy neighbor doesn't mean you have to like them!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Clay likes this.
  3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Yep that's a real thing. The article was obviously written by a concerned party but their points are solid. There sure are some frightening people stealing grease. At least no Nazis or MS13 so there's that.
    We used to have problems with scrap cardboard theft back in the day when it had value.
    There's any number of reasons the federal government could get involved as cited in the article. What aspect brings DHS into it I have no idea. Congress has actually spent their time on baseball players shooting dope so I guess it depends on priorities or who has who's ear.
    Interesting read.

Pete

Jason likes this.
  4. That article seems like a fluff piece written by the only people who would consider it a crime. I've collected waste oil once and I had to stop the guy after he loaded extra 20 litre drums, he would have given me 2-3 times as much as I asked for. So if you ask around, there's people willing to give it to you. Another waste oil service decided the foundry I help out at was burning waste oil and called in the EPA and the local council on a wild goose chase, trying to shut down a gas fired furnace operation. Locally as the economy slows, biodiesel has become fashionable again and will be until people get sick of the mess and work involved to process it.

Still things could be worse: in China, oil from the sewers is sold for cooking, it could contain used motor oil and anything else tipped down the drain.

Jason likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

THERE IS YOUR REAL POLLUTERS!

6. OMM

OMM Silver

The two restaurants that I want to both told me they get paid. They both had well over 100 gallon tanks in the backyard.
    One was a little more forthcoming and told they get paid enough to buy 15 gallons of new stuff oil, after the tank rental fee, the pick up fee and the disposal fee. They told me anytime I want the oil they will just set it out back in a 5 gallon pail and not pour it into the tank. They told me they would give me 5 gallons every week if I wanted it. They said they support independent trades and art stuff.

7. I had less than stellar results with WVO (too much fat crystals when cold) so i'm sticking with WMO. It's still free if you ask around.

Jason likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

And motor oil doesnt go rank either.;)

9. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Very Inappropriate post IMHO that one either ignores leaving it unanswered (but not agreed with) or once again allows the thread to devolve into chaos. Not needed on this forum. There are fora where political/social rants are appropriate. I don’t come here for that stuff and find it offensive.

Denis

Chazza likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

It was in the article! I didn't write it. Point is 75million is NOTHING and WHY are we wasting resources with the DHS chasing after what amounts to pennies chasing Grease thieves?
    Who cares some scumbags they caught willing to steal oil has criminal records? Big shocker there!:eek: DHS is pissing away our money on NOTHING. That should make every american
    angry to see such waste, but hey? Anything to keep them from doing their job that was created back in 02'

Perhaps people should be reminded what their mission really is.:p

The United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is a cabinet department of the U.S. federal government with responsibilities in public security, roughly comparable to the interior or home ministries of other countries. Its stated missions involve anti-terrorism, border security, immigration and customs, cyber security, and disaster prevention and management.[3] It was created in November 2002 in response to 9/11 and is the youngest U.S. cabinet department.

Anyone see "missing grease detectives" in that statement?

kcb_1983 and joe yard like this.
  11. OMM

OMM Silver

I really hope this can be kept as a friendly discussion. All should be fair, without assumptions or detrimental offences. I believe we are all gentlemen.

Many forums prefer to keep political discussion obsolete. The better forums allow friendly discussion with out berating others views whether, personal or attachment.

I find it very offensive when my car is stolen (or anything on my property)! I also find it very offensive when my intellectual content property has been stolen for personal gain, with out my consent or noted reference.

But with today’s searching abilities and references of, higher education is it at our fingertips.

It is astounding that we in North America have very little limitations to education/sharing, when the largest populated country in the world is not allowed to have YouTube, or social media Internet with outside countries.

North America became a super nation on education and the desire to steal ideas and improve. Our every day infrastructure as we know it, was literally built on thieves.

Our North America is in trouble...

Jason likes this.
  12. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Someone on AA got fined for taking waste oil even though he was given it, in the UK you need to be licensed for oil disposal.

Chazza likes this.
  13. OMM

OMM Silver

In the UK, can a owner of a restaurant transport WVO without license? I think there is more to this story. I would like to see the ticket.

14. Peedee

Peedee Silver

We have collections by registered services, I believe it was Wargrade that got the fine and he was 'shopped' by the regular collection company. The laws are in place to ensure suiable disposal (ie not having waste oil dumped into sewers or the like. We have big issues with 'fatbergs' over here from just that.

I have no reason to disbelieve him.

15. Peedee

Peedee Silver

"Failure to produce waste transfer documentation can result in a spot fine or prosecution. Please note local authority officials have the legal rights to recover any costs involved in any investigations. Anyone collecting waste from your premises must be registered under the ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT 1990 : DUTY OF CARE. The producer of the waste must ensure that the collector is registered with the Environment Agency as a "registered waste carrier."

Chazza likes this.
  16. Peedee

Peedee Silver

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Same old BS, always follow the money and you will have your answer.

I wonder how that turned out? I would have said, I'll see you in court.

18. Chazza

Chazza Silver

I agree with Denis – let us keep the posts relevant to foundry work and leave personal political-opinion out of it; it is a real turn off for many potential and actual members.

So. a relevant item is to check with your local govt about storing oil as well; only very small amounts are allowed to be kept at home where I live,

Cheers Charlie

19. Jason

Jason Gold

Charlie, if you ever see my garage on fire, don't try to put it out. Get in the car and drive to the next county. I may not be from Texas, but I got here as fast as I could.

20. OMM

OMM Silver

I personally find it odd when anyone on any forum can voice certain “safety concerns” and there not be some kind of government entity or legislation to back it up.

If using a foundry (or any heat source) on residential, Farm property, industrial property required yearly inspections on anything that exceeded +200,000BTU including fire pits....

That involved a one hour presentation to officials to receive a certificate of approval, and complied with all emissions and PPE, adequate fire extinguishers, adequate overhead sprinkler systems, certified buildings and adjacent buildings and certified installations of all operating mechanical principles, including(but not limited to) all wiring be explosion proof certified by the local electrical authority and storage any (and all) fuel containment certified with the yearly inspection, and a designated “locked up” quarantine area ,... including a full documented fire escape plan with a review buy local fire department with other accelerants kept on property....we’d probably all be dead in the water.

I was just reviewing the millwright right to refuse dangerous work and obligated to report protocol.

I’m sure there is a lot of fullout do gooders here who have gone to their insurance company and given a full (video) demonstration and been given the full go ahead under their policy.

I had a WETT inspection for my wood stove on my property. Insurance protocol. I barely passed it as it being a permanent fuel burning source on my property. Inspector wanted me to raise the chimney 1 foot which took me a above my stackable allowance and I would’ve needed guy supports. He let it go.

Government can be a thorn in anybody’s side. Sometimes it’s nice to just sit back and discuss with like mines!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019