Stealing UCO articl

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by HT1, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

I remember in Germany it was illegal to carry something like more than 5liters of spare gasoline or some nonsense like that.:rolleyes: When I was in the military there, we would take long road trips. Yup, we had a bad crash into a light pole in france on New years. The french cops laughed when they saw we had four 5 gallon jugs of gas in the trunk. That was enough to get us to Paris and back that night. You ever try getting gas in the middle of nowhere in europe at night? Forget it, we carried wing tanks! What really got them pissed was the cases of champagne we were hauling. We gave them the gas, grabbed the booze and hopped a train home. Never saw the car again or heard a word about the light pole I knocked over. I was sober as a church mouse, but the 3guys with me were HAMMERED! There is a reason they call the stuff black ice! The fan motor inside the car didn't work and we were scraping a peep hole on the INSIDE of the windshield so I could see. Ice was just as bad inside as out. Good times. I drink so much champagne that night on the train I had the squirts for a week!:eek:

2. OMM

OMM Silver

I was travelling through the United States with a full-size GM window van (back in the 80s) that was a propane burner. Three years in a row no problem filling up at any normal station. Fourth-year new insurance policies went in and filling stations required a Second license for filling vehicles. Some filling stations refuse to fill the van. It had two 60 lbs. tanks. One was labelled as main tank and the other one auxiliary. One fuelling station refused to fill the main tank but was OK to fill the auxiliary but,...asked is this for your stove/ fridge/heater on board? I said yeah....

The following year I added a 20lbs. propane tank holder inverted to the back bumper with a dump fuel line to the auxiliary tank. I carried one extra tank (20lbs.) on board. I was getting propane at $0.09 a litre when regular fuel was $.34 a litre. I don’t like how insurance companies restrict my trip to Florida. Year five, things got a little more difficult. Most stations would fill the auxiliary tank and the two portable tanks, but not the main. It really sucks camping outside A private (to open) filling station that will look the other way now and then.

My brother-in-law drives a natural gas powered truck. He is having the same complaint. He can’t fill it at home... and stations are far between. Yeah can’t keep everybody happy, and the squeaky wheel usually gets the grease.

My mother teaches English and French classes in Florida pro bono, she is fully signed up every year for the free classes. It’s weird how some people like I like melting shit when, I know some of my counterparts don’t even know how to spell or speak properly. (Sometimes excuse the auto correct!)

I do work in China once in a while. This society is a sponge. They have a desire to learn. I wish my five-year-old had!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  3. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

I honestly dont know how you could run a Propane Vehicle now . I know Here In Jacksonville Fl I dont know of a single fueling point other then the Propane Companies yards, there is a couple, the One down at the Port might be OK, but the one I use would be pure murder to find , and probably all but impossible for a large truck to get at the pump

V/r HT1

4. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Just priced up a 'skip' as we call them over here. £175 for four yards (mini) no liquids, no paint cans and a mattress would be £24 more (not able to recycle) No wonder people choose to dump their crap.

5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

For one-time rentals it's not much different in Buffalo. Even the 3 yard Bagster service ends up being around that. It depends where you live though. Commercial contract service isn't too bad though. I get my 4 yard container dumped twice per month for about $100.
    I'm have a small commercial print shop and my paper recycling program is a bit different. Like the oil, the paper has at least some value. Because of the low volume I produce and the type of material I produce they basically give me nothing for it and charge me $20 per month for bi-weekly pickup. I only produce about 4 or 5 yards per month and its unsorted so I think it's a reasonable arrangement. The big boys who produce train car loads of sorted material get a much better deal. I haven't been following the boxboard market lately but I'm sure they must be doing well with the whole Amazon and other on-line delivery business. That's where a lot of that recycled paper ends up. At my level I'm just happy to get rid of it.

Pete

6. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I'm as tight as they come Pete. I wouldn't fill it with anything nasty but when they want £24 extra for a mattress! That's coil spring and fabric. (Reading that back I really do just have to stop being so stingy and get on with!)

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Perhaps a fee plowed on at purchase like they do tires here is in order. "Disposal Fee" is what we call it. (and I despise fees!) If the money can make it to where it should, fine, but 99% of the time it gets pissed away else ware. Like it or not, we live in a political world run by asshats.