Tig aluminum issue

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

That is a very intriguing home-brew torch cooler. What was shown was the absolute minimalist approach. Knowing that even such a “ghetto” (the video provider’s term) approach worked remarkably well, it is not hard to imagine a few simple upgrades to make such a system more robust and portable. As it is, I don’t quite often enough run into my torch overheating, so, I guess I won’t pull the trigger on making a somewhat better version. But, if the need arises, I would certainly spend a few hours to save a few hundred dollars to avoid a commercial cooler. I’d use an aquarium pump which I would expect to last for years, an aluminum thin rectangular (to radiate heat) tank of at least 5 gal capacity with a convenient filler and a good drainage spigot. I’d buy good quality hose and use zip ties close spaced to bundle it with gas hose to the torch and zipper sleeve the works. Tempting...

Thanks for the informative post.

Denis

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah I find it comical, but some times ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I may have to look at getting a water cooled setup in the near future. On the front side of my SS project, I'm running tig autogenous and will have runs up to 20feet. Dropping 500bucks on a proper setup will be money well spent. More on this soon.:D