Took a Stab at writing a casting article online

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by crazybillybob, Aug 3, 2018.

1. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

So I have a friend that has been running a review style website. We've talked off and on about me writing somethings for them for a few years. Well I finally took a stab at it. He started reviewing mostly computer related products but a few years ago he added in 3D printers. He has been wanting to add some "Maker" type content alongside the reviews, that's where I came in. I wrote an article about using a 3D print as a pattern in sand casting aluminum. Something a lot of us here have done. So this is my shameless plug for some folks that know something to look at the article and tell me what I screwed up.
    https://lanoc.org/review/3d-printing/7826-casting-3d-printed-parts

CBB

oldironfarmer likes this.
  2. chucketn

chucketn Copper

Well written article, CCB. I'm 3d printing patterns for casting parts of functioning model steam engines.

3. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Looks like a good article with some nice illustrations.

4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Very good indeed. The picture of the furnace made me smile a bit. Looks like some aggressive preheating on the lid!

Pete

5. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

To add to the prior positive comments: Your steel-cornered flasks looked good as did your metal guide pins. Nice touches.

Denis

6. If anything it covers a sample job so well, it makes it look too easy. It's a good comprehensive primer and I like the use of the correct foundry terminology.

7. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Good article, but seeing the furnace lid laying in the grass makes me cringe a bit....

8. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

Great article. Makes me want to take a stab @ sand casting again. If I do, I'll be locating some real greensand or petrobond.

9. crazybillybob

Dave,

There is a fire brick in the "Grass" under the lid. And that little circle of grass is long dead :rolleyes: and the "Hot" side is up

CBB

10. crazybillybob

We all can't be welders! Some of use relay on the grinder to make thing "pretty" when we weld. But they hold up just fine.

Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully this is just one of many articles I'll be doing for them.

CBB

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Great Article! "Grinder and paint makes me the welder I Ain't"

Ya know, Adam Beane was coming out with filament for these things that was essentially CX5. He got sick and now no one knows whats happening. If it would have hit the market, I would have gotten on board with 3d printing. I just can't deal with those ugly lines and crappy resolution. Fill and sand is too much like work where working material like wax sounds more elegant.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adambeaneindustries/cx5-sculptable-filament-for-3d-printers

12. DavidF

I have a trick to show you for smoothing out pla prints. Provided you are not afraid of methylethylbadshit...
    Also I saw where characters were made by first sculpting in clay, taking a mold from the clay to produce a wax and then detailing the wax before taking another mold from it. Sounds like a long drawn out process, but the results were impressive. Guess it's easier to get the fine details in wax than clay.

13. DavidF

With my kind of luck I'd trip and park my bottom right on top of it :eek:

14. Jason

Jason Gold

MEK doesn't bother me. I don't bathe in the stuff. Military taught us it causes liver cancer. I just glove up.
    Removing steps from the process saves time. That's why I was excited when I saw printable material that would work like wax. Oh well, some day it will happen.

15. DavidF

There is a printable wax made by machinablewax.com but it can be challenging to print with. Maybe it's just a learning curve I will have to try it again sometime.
    Also not MEK,

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

YouTube it once you get it sorted.. Ya know the whole monkey see monkey do thing.

17. DavidF

the wax or the

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  18. DavidF

19. Jason

Jason Gold

both.. the whole process.

20. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Well CBB, it looks like I've stepped on my wiener again by not looking closely enough. I would never razz a guys furnace. I know what kind of time and effort it takes to build one. I've built three, and two of them I am at least mildly embarrassed to to show.
    You mentioned preheating your aluminum, and between the color of the refractory, the lid edges, and the color of the stainless, it looks like a full coverage aluminum cow pie on top of the furnace. That was the smile. I should have used the "enhance" button (looked more closely) before commenting. Sorry.
    For the record, I know some welders and I sure as hell ain't one! Lol

Pete