Took a Stab at writing a casting article online

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by crazybillybob, Aug 3, 2018.

1. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Pete you didn't upset me.... And that whole furnace is made out of mild steel... the shiny stuff just hasn't rusted yet :)
    The poop pie on top is just mortar to seal in the crappy homebrew refractory I used in that furnace (it's my first but not my last) it likes to turn to green glass if it's not coated well.

Jason,
    I was in for the CX5 filament kickstarter. Adam got sick and everything went pear shaped. I have debated try some of the machinable wax filament but have not taken the dive yet.
    I normally just coat my 3d prints in Durhams water putty thinned so that it's about like sour cream. it doesn't shrink or stink like body filler (Bondo you know who I'm talking about) Sand it smooth. hit it with a few coats of rattle can high built primer and then some gloss paint. Wax the snot out of it before molding. I'm working on a core mold that I'm trying out spray on poly on, we'll see how that goes.
    CBB

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

If your talking evercoat 4:1 its amazing!! Been using it on my patterns...sprayable bondo that sands like butter...

3. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

no I'm trying some spray on polyurethane instead of gloss spray paint. I have heard good things about evercoat, but have never used it.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

That's fine billybob if you are running sand.... But I want 3d straight to something I can burn outta ceramic shell and skip the molding faff.