2019 openers open..

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Apr 1, 2019.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Seems like a bit of fun.. Who's in ?

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Meh...My booze bottle doesn't require an opener.:D:p I'm out.;)

3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I'm in, sounds like fun!

Edit - Perry (swdweeb) had asked people participating to make a short video announcing as much, to help get the word out.

So far I'm seeing 8 announcement videos when I search YouTube for #2019openersopen. Of course that includes Olfoundryman's, and he is only offering prizes and not an actual entry. So, 7 and counting, and plenty of time between now and May 24.

It would be nice to see more of our members join up; we don't really want one of the aluminum video game sword video guys to end up getting one of Martin's crucibles, do we?

Check out the prizes he's offering if you haven't seen this yet:

Jeff

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  4. _Jason

_Jason Silver

That explains why Olfoundryman released a bottle opener video last night.

Having just watched his video, it looks like he's willing to give a crucible to whomever he deems has the neatest opener. I also read in the comments that he's been a bit under the weather lately.

5. Tobho Mott

Finished getting all my sand mulled and ready last night before I went to bed. Hoping it will hold off on drying out completely until I can get my opener molded and poured tonight (if all goes according to plan). Nothing like waiting until the last minute...

I might still even have a chance to make this Friday's due date. Luckily the new furnace should help the melt proceed quite quickly, so I won't have to be up into the wee hours on a work night to get it done.

Anyone else gonna enter?

Jeff

6. PatJ

PatJ Silver

It is kind of obvious (Perry has stated this himself) that he is trying to drive his subscription rate up, and thus the contest.
    That being said, I think there is still something to be gained by trying to up your casting game and produce better castings.
    Any improvements in the method that comes out of a bottle opener can then be applied to other projects, so I guess it is not totally dweeby stuff.

I told Perry I had too many other things in the works to do the bottle opener.

7. Tobho Mott

Well, I'm just doing it for a bit of fun. It's a project with pattern making, molding, casting, and finishing work, so it's good practice for me all around at any rate and was also just the thing I needed this spring to get me in gear opening the foundry back up after such a Long and brutal winter. I doubt I'll win one of olfoundryman's crucibles or anything like that...

If Perry gets a bunch of new subs off this idea he had, I say good for him - he deserves it just for making those Bob Puhakka videos that aren't going to disappear alone! And it's a fun idea too, maybe just as likely to bring more traffic to participants who are tracking their subscriptions.

8. PatJ

PatJ Silver

The bottle openers are turning out pretty cool, and this could lead to even more cool contests in the future.
    These things do help get back into the spirit of casting after the long winter (as you mention), and lots of good ideas also get shared in these contests.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

At least it's better than bozos casting foam swords into aluminum junk from video games.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  10. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Another thing that tends to get overlooked (by myself and others) is that any new materials/skills/techniques learned in a "contest" can be carried forward to future casting attempts, and these can be invaluable.
    I did a "group build" for a rather small and insignificant little steam engine, and while the steam engine turned out rather paltry, the skills I learned during the build were worth their weight in gold.

Jason and Tobho Mott like this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

That's very true Pat. The mind is like a muscle, use it or lose it.

12. Tobho Mott

Teaser for my entry

Mold all ready:
    20190522_164442-780x1040.jpg

Those 3-fingered fire log grabbers make decent lifting tongs and pouring shank for smaller crucibles:
    PhotoPictureResizer_190523_073326829_crop_771x923.jpg

A copper ingot brazed itself to my mold pan the other day when I was at Van's Blacksmithing helping pour an argon condenser. :mad:

Oh well, I half expected that. It's why I normally ram up a greensand ingot mold. At least it let go of the everdur from this pour... PhotoPictureResizer_190522_203116783_crop_2425x3120-606x780.jpg

No pix of the opener itself 'til tomorrow, aka the #2019openersopen due date.

Jeff

Al Puddle likes this.
  13. Very classy to have a copper weight to keep your ingot pan from blowing away. Like marking your ball in golf with a gold Maple Leaf.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  14. Jason

Jason Gold

Lets see it Jeff. I've seen only one decent one so far that opens BEER. (and two clowns that I've officially revoked their MAN CARDS!) One even claims it's in his wifes purse! :eek:

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  15. Aluminum bronze and black walnut. Copy of Perry's.:p

IMG_5855.JPG IMG_5856.JPG

Paint can opener on the other end.

Took the video 13-1/2 hours to load to YouTube. I have very small wires.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  16. Tobho Mott

PhotoPictureResizer_190523_173015342_crop_3194x1721-1597x860.jpg

No, it's not a BP.

I tried to cast an OddDuck style window frame match plate for the pattern just for fun, the result was kind of a surprise...

Jeff

17. Who placed an entry other than Jeff and I?

18. Jason

Jason Gold

19. Jason

Jason Gold

Found another one... This guy drinks BEER!

20. Jason

Jason Gold