Alternatives to traditional sand recipes

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by purpleparachute, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Regarding sand casting - just curious if anyone has ever tried alternatives to sand casting traditional recipes

as we know anything with very fine almost powder like consistency gets the best detail, so I was thinking about trying out

molochite+sodium silicate
    or
    grog/plaster+sodium silicate

so I can cast larger pieces in the sand flask method but forgo the gritty surface texture of the sand - thoughts anyone?

Also does anyone know if the sand in sand+sodium silicate mixture causes the reaction to happen or if it is the sodium silicate with C02?

Also will sand+sodium silicate go off in time on it's own (say overnight, reacting with c02 in the air) rather than needing gassing immediately?

and finally, what is the finest of the finest sand grains one can buy, don't mind if it is a little pricey as it can be reused.

Thank you!

2. This guy used cement and motor oil.

3. Thanks for the vid - yeh looking for something that will set hard like SS+C02 does - looks like his method doesn't really work too great when turning the mould over or removing the pattern - I wonder if SS and cement/ciment fondu would work? Hmmmmm

In searching for info on molochite+ sodium silicate, I did find info on using this with fibreglass back up for ceramic shell in a commercial foundry - anyone tried this? I think I'll go ask in the ceramic shell thread too.