Another lad from Ontario

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Oldarm, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Oldarm

Oldarm Silver

Hi Andy,
    Thanks for your kind comments. I think I outlined the basics of the toolmaking in an earlier reply. I get it that it is still a bit of a mystery though. I must try and get a video or at least a photo sequence of the events leading to the finished product. The finished product of course does not need to be a model airplane! It could be a widgit or geegaw of most descriptions. It's just that I have this thing about airplanes and it is a perfect fit.
    Actually the hardest part was generating the master patterns. The cost of commissioning master models was so prohibitive, anywhere from $2000 for the smallest type to north of $8000! Soon to be in the poorhouse I had to learn some new skills otherwise my retirement was destined to be pruning the roses. And, we can't have that can we? So, trial and error and a healthy scrap bin I finally cracked it and I am now fairly comfortable with the patternmaking side of things. The propellers can be a bit of a pain, especially the smaller jobs, but nothing insurmountable.
    Regards,
    John

2. Oldarm

Oldarm Silver

You are making an early start!! (But I so wish that I could join you!)
    John

3. Rob Hall

Rob Hall Copper

You have already been heartily welcomed, however: Welcome!

Always a pleasure to learn about and see a new process! I can't wait to see you in the posts!

4. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I'm not discussing the football, or my bar bill today :(

Do you cast the props in situ or as a seperate piece?

5. Oldarm

Oldarm Silver

No, let us not do that!
    Props are separate and rotate.

6. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Football is about 90 minutes of pretending you are injured, rugby is about 80 minutes of pretending you are NOT injured ;) As for the bar bill, it's the village pub so I was supporting the local economy....

I should have seen the props were separate from the patterns, that would be one hell of a job to mold with those in situ.

7. Oldarm

Oldarm Silver

Don't challenge me! Props in situ? Why not? Totally impractical but these ideas make you start thinking. I wonder if....
    And then you remember why you still have holes in your breeches. Too many challenges taken up.

I had a visitor today while I was in the middle of a "can't stop now" job. He asked if he could watch while I finished up. This was not an issue with me although I don't think H&S would have been too impressed! Still, he asked all sorts of interesting and pertinent questions while I sweated and performed. We are going to meet up again this weekend and I have promised to write him a short brief of why I am still playing in the sandbox. Tough to explain. I think it was growing up in Ironbridge that planted the seeds. I'm sure you are aware of the district and it's importance to the Industrial Revolution? What a place. If you have not visited, put it on your list.
    When I lived there it was in an advanced state of decay. It is now a UNESCO heritage site.
    All the best, John

8. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I've passed by it enough times but know little about Ironbridge other than maybe an episode of Dibnah. I should do my homework.

MK1 Hurricane flies again this morning, I'm chasing up to the hanger this morning to remember all the bits I did wrong......... crossed fingers as I'm not on the job so it's up to the pros to sign it off.

I like the visitor story, it takes a while for people to 'get' why you want to cast, some do some don't

9. Oldarm

Oldarm Silver

I've tried to find a link to the test flight. Any ideas? How did it go?
    John

10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Test went great, I'll upload some video on the thread in general when my PC lets me.

Only one niggle was a weeping seal on the starboard leg but that is easily sorted. The test pilot was going to do a first run of take-off and return but he was having too much fun and spent half an hour up there playing around. Really rather pleased given the state the plane was in 12 months ago.

I'll stop destroying your intro thread with my rubbish ramblings. :)

11. Oldarm

Oldarm Silver

Looking forward to the flight!
    John