Beginner to melting cast iron.

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Ironsides, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

In his reply to you he said he had problems with sand breaking away and might use Furan resin in the future to stop that happening. So he must be using green sand.

2. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

I counted at least 8 comments.

3. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Yes, now he has answered several s nice I posted mine. What happened to mine I do not know. It was a multi-part question and simply disappeared. I asked a simple question just now about his binder.
    Denis

4. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

The comments are distributed through several videos. Took me a minute or two to find them on the phone. CO2 laser 60w.

5. Melterskelter

Yes, I had looked through them all with my comments a week or so ago. But today I got a reply inquiring as to what binder he used for his sand—-hurray! The way it crumbled and brushed off almost powdery did not look like green sand that I’ve used.

Indeed, he uses petrobond face sand and green sand for backing sand. He says he’s careful to separate the Petro from the green. I’m sure he uses green for backer just to minimize burning petrobond as iron does burn it up pretty extensively. But Petro does have enough carbon in it to prevent burn-on of sand and also produces a nice finish. It brushes off effortlessly as shown.

I actually think that if he can find NaSilicate, that would be a better binder as it may hold detail better—-a problem he encounters causing spoiled molds. I’ve detailed use of coal, sugar, NaSilicate and sand for iron elsewhere

Denis

6. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

So that settle the mystery.

7. Melterskelter

Yes, on that point. I do think there is a lot more that folks would find interesting like knowing not just that he uses a laser, but what kind of laser on what sort of gantry to cut what sort of medium, using what software to draw patterns letters and using what source of fonts. But I hate to pump for details….

I did invite him to consider joining this group. And I offered a couple things that might be worth considering like possibly using sodium silicate or epoxy binding as he was having some trouble reliably getting faithful rendition of some fine details of his patterns.

Denis

8. DaveZ

DaveZ Copper

I wish his videos had more substance, and be longer than a few seconds.

9. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

He might find it difficult because english is not his first language.
    Detailed videos can take a lot of time to make and if your target audience speaks english everything has to be translated making the process a lot longer.

10. Melterskelter

I was impressed with his evident command of English in his replies to comments in this video:

Denis

11. DaveZ

DaveZ Copper

Myfordboy has made countless excellent videos and never says a word.

12. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

Just ask him to make detailed videos in english.

13. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

He does receive a lot comments to explain how he does things. Maybe he should speak on his videos.

DaveZ likes this.