Beginner with a melting furnace: What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Conor, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Conor

Conor Lead

Hi all.
    Just want to share a problem that I've been having since getting my VEVOR propane furnace last summer. Loving this hobby and I'm certain that this is just a small thing I'm doing wrong- I've never seen a proper tutorial re. adjusting air intake/ gas pressure etc and even thoguh I've used it a lot and had good melts, I'm still clueless really as to the proper operation of one of these, especially in the areas detailed above.
    Basically what starts happening is the output from the burner starts to 'sputter' and gurgle, as per the video linked below. This usually starts happening after about 20 minutes of operation. Only thing that solves it is adjusting the choke so that no air is taken in. If I run the furnace like this from the start, i.e with a large orange flame with very little air intake, it doesn't happen, but it takes about an hour to melt a kg of copper which is not ideal.

• I will up the gas pressure but this only solves it for about a minute.
    • There are no blockages anywhere in the system, it's been taken apart and cleaned multiple times.
    • Gas can is new and full (11 kg can of propane).
    • Gas can doesn't seem to be 'icing up' and have tried insulating it, putting it in water, etc to no avail.
    • No wind and mild temperatures where I live- around 15 degrees Celsius (59 Farenheit).
    Let me tell you how I have been running the furnace since I first got it- maybe there's some clue here:

Gas pressure roughly 10-15 PSI
    Choke fully open to half closed (strong jet engine sound)
    I always let the furnace heat up for about a minute before closing the lid down.

Doing it this way I can melt copper in about 25 minutes but the sputtering will start about 10 or 15 minutes in which makes it very hard to keep heat in the furnace.

My furnace has a cracked firebrick at the bottom (needs replacing) and there have been some odd small spillages at the bottom. Otherwise the furnace seems good, apart from the insulation showing the signs of use (I need to spray it with rigidizer I know). No holes etc in the structure of the furnace.

Here is the link to the video:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/tdJZLBC1SU2zD7qb9

And here is a guy with the same furnace as me, just for reference as to the type of furnace I have:

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to your suggestions! Hopefully I can solve this.

2. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Silver

I think closing the air off is a mistake. That type of burner needs the fuel to mix with air in the burner to burn hotter in the furnace. Other than that, it seems to be a pretty good furnace to start with. Coating the blanket also protects it somewhat from damage. If it wasn't needed they wouldn't' have included. it.

3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Try opening the choke on your burner up gradually to add more air to the mixture and the fire ought to climb back just about completely inside your furnace and behave itself. Either that and/or turn down the gas. 10-15 psi for a naturally aspirated burner doesn't sound that high to me though (although mine do all use forced air, different animal) so I'd try more air before trying less gas.

Good luck,

Jeff

Conor likes this.
  4. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

I have a naturally aspirated one, enclosing pics on how it was set last run and the cone I use to counteract cross breezes. I do not have gauges, I light the furnace with the propane on low and bring up the propane until I like the way it looks and sounds.

TOPS_6KG_burner1.jpg

5. Conor

Conor Lead

Cheers Jeff, have tried this somewhat but after a while it always starts to sputter, in which case the solution seems to be to decrease air intake for a while

6. Conor

Conor Lead

They didn't include it and I can't get the rigidizer anywhere where I'm from

7. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Silver