Beginners to metal casting, watch this video.

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Ironsides, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

When you start metal casting there are many traps for the unwary. This video shows how stupid some people are on youtube.

1. Never use a cracked crucible, have a look at 2:30

2. Make sure that there is no moisture in a ingot mold, have a look at 4:25

It is a only matter of time before someone is badly injured on youtube and then the blame game starts.

Jason likes this.
  2. dtsh

dtsh Silver

I hope to not see the video with concrete spalling and further disaster when that crucible finally fails and dumps it's load onto the driveway.

Edit: I give him some credit for at least acknowledging the issue with the ingot molds at the end. I see some value in showing such failures as it can serve as a warning to others before they make a similar mistake themselves.

If someone engages in an inherently dangerous activity with the only knowledge of the subject coming from watching amateurs on youtube, it's probably already too late for them. Some of us are slow learners and seem to require pain to modify behaviors.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  3. PatJ

PatJ Silver

He is casting up a bunch of stuff.
    The axe really does not look half bad all things c0nsidered (ie: he does not really know what he is doing).

His pouring shank is junk though, and so is that cracked crucible.
    No coating on his ceramic-blanket-lined furnace, so that is not good at all.
    A couple of years of using that furnace, and he is toast.
    I will post a comment on one of his videos telling him he needs to coat that lining.

Looks like his is pouring in the garage.
    That probably won't end well either.

I do cringe at the semi-professional youtuber guys, especially the ones who seem to deliberately do dangerous stuff for the drama/view count.

4. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

He does about everything wrong but gets a decent casting. To be fair Ironsides drives molten Iron all through his garage, melt and pours on, what looks like, concrete.

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I think when we are not looking, ironsides probably runs with scissors in addition to pouring on concrete, and probably does this at night, outside on rough ground.
    We need a video.
    Some people seem to be able to do stuff like that and come out unscathed.

6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I'd say he has done quite a bit of casting and has made a good number of videos showing his work so I wont pass judgment on him.
    And his castings are coming out much better than some of the crap I've seen people produce who claim they know what their doing.
    But somebody please send him a new crucible before the melt hits the concrete!! :confused:

7. Yeah, look at 3:55, you can see right through the crack.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

I'll ad this one to the YT clowns in casting over at AA. Looking at the numbers over there, it has proved a popular thread. Hopefully it saved a few clowns from burning themselves.
    (I still like the homer bucket furnace.... One of my favs)

Who the hell makes a video of "Is melting aluminum cans worth it" and GETS PAID big buck for it???? SMH..:rolleyes: