Buy a house?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jul 12, 2020.

1. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

A guy with a nice painted garage floor that uses the lift for smaller aluminum blocked engines.
    I don't think harbor freight sells them with rubber wheels any more. (most of the usual scumbags I looked at online don't sell them with soft wheels....at least not any more.)

2. I think you'll be embarrassed at how fast and strong the professional movers are.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Park 200feet from garage door. Open truck door, slam into reverse, haul ass and nail the breaks. D O N E ! :D:eek:
    Quality moving!:p

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

And here I thought you would just toss it out during a fly by....

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

How do I quickly and safely empty an oxygen and acetylene tank?

I'll be transporting my 2 huge cylinders and I hear its not legal to transport them inside a closed uhaul truck. Can I just open the regulator and let it rapidly degas or will that ignite the acetylene?

6. Jason

Jason Gold

I'd just move em with you. Keep em standing up and you be fine. You're not commercial or hauling that much.

You can lay acetylene over, but you must stand it up for a couple of days before using it or else you get liquid!

7. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Can't you turn them in to your local supplier, then pick up another set when you get there?

8. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

If David's suggestion doesn't work out see if you can have them purged and certified as such. I wouldnt just throw them in and play dumb. Find out what the rules are and follow them for every state you'll be driving through. If you can just cap them and strap them in, then so much the better but find out for sure.

Pete

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'm having trouble finding out the rules per state. Especially regarding whether I have to stop at weigh stations. This is very confusing. Uhaul told me nothing regarding rules. The websites are somewhat unclear. I think the potential routes I could use are NJ to PA to VA or I could go NJ to Maryland to west VA to VA.

I'm leaning towards the second option since it seems like there will be less chance I need to stop at weigh stations than the first path.

I'd like to take my cylinders but not sure if they'll reimburse and it's Sunday so I doubt they are open. Also the cylinders are the huge ones they normally rent to people now. They don't seem to sell the big ones like I have anymore but they do swap them out as they were apparently grandfathered in.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Stop and weigh?? Uh NO! You are in a private vehicle. If you are a commercial mover, you must stop and some states get pissy if the truck is over 10k. Which I doubt you are. This the first time you've moved?
    If your tanks are stamped with a gas suppliers name, usually THEY are the only ones that will screw with it. If your tanks say airgas, well you know there will be another airgas where ever you go.
    Just strap them in good, be sure the tops are screwed on and hit the road. Load them near the cab buried in the mattresses. . If you crash and burn, you won't be around anyways to answer questions or get in trouble. Just take it easy and keep your mouth shut. Delete this email and empty the trash too.

Here is a list of rules for different states. https://www.moving.com/tips/does-my-moving-truck-need-to-stop-at-a-weigh-station/

11. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Says all trucks stop in PA and over 7500 lbs in VA.

So maybe I'll go via Maryland to west VA to my destination. That way no truck stops. Those states don't require a stop. But it adds another 1 hr to travel time. Blah

12. Jason

Jason Gold

That's worth it! You'll avoid BS COVID questions too!

13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I went via VA and downloaded a weigh station app to help me skip open stations. Solved that issue nicely.

Jason likes this.
  14. crazybillybob

I moved Gas cylinders in a uhaul before Shhh don't tell on me!! :oops:

Jason likes this.
  15. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Just make sure the emergency guys have a way of knowing they are there should the worst happen (and yes, I've moved lots of things I probably shouldn't have!)

Not trying to be a jerk, just those guys deserve a thought. :)

Jason likes this.
  16. Zapins

Zapins Gold

More videos to come. I have a story to tell you in the morning so pooped. Was awake 36 hrs.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  17. Jason

Jason Gold

Good job man! Get some rest and catch us up tomorrow.

18. crazybillybob

Good work,
    I'm going to guess that the 50Amp breaker goes to the disconnect on the wall. Last guy had a big welder or machine tied in there. (I have a similar setup in my shop for my mill). I have the mill and the plasma cutter / welder on the same circuit so the disconnect keeps someone from turning both on at the same time and tripping the breaker, and allows you to remove the equipment safely without turning off the breaker.
    Sweet dreams!

19. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I think he had a large compressor hooked up there. To the 50 amp. It goes without saying thats going to power my tig welder. The other 30 amp will power my compressor and kiln alternatively. I may run more electrical cabling and add more 30 amp breakers. I kind of want to move the laundry room into the garage at the back by the bathroom. That way I can clean out my master bathroom and put fish tanks in there.

I transferred all the house furniture into the house from the garage and many of the boxes of stuff. Will move the tanks next. Then I can load my lathe on the opposite end of the workshop away from the grinding table and dustiness.

As for lighting. What was that cheap LED shop lighting that everyone loved so much? Can anyone link me? I do not have very many shop fixtures so I'd likely need an all in one fixture. I want my shop lit up like daylight.

20. Jason

Jason Gold

Use cheap 2 bulb 4ft sections and get ballast less light bulbs from ledmyplace.com

about 7bucks a bulb. The big thing is you want to remove the ballast. That's where the savings come in.