Can I Tack A Stainless Bolt with Mig?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by FishbonzWV, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Thanks for the visual. Do they use a pusher or their fingers to get foodstuff to the blades?

2. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

The bowl is belt driven. It screws on a spindle and I’ve had to remove the bottom plate and pinch the belt to get the stuck bowl off.

Tops likes this.
  3. FishbonzWV

Pattern complete.
    I set the nut a little deep with a drop of hot melt to keep it in place and a little more on top to create a slight concave shape. Then covered that with a double layer of packing tape to give some fettling space.
    To make it easy to clean the rear opening was dished.
    Knob1.jpg

Filled the nut with drywall mud, let it semi-set up and used a small drill to bore a hole by hand. Enlarged the hole one drill size larger with a coating of mud on it and left it in place as the stabilizing rod for the nut. I'll do a test packing and if the drill isn't enough I'll slide a piece of flashing under it.
    Carved the sprue and coated both with mud leaving the attachment points free. With the weight of the nut I'll have to hot melt the pieces together when I'm ready to pour as it makes it too fragile to handle.

Knob2.jpg

Mantrid and Tops like this.
  4. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

Won't the packing tape stop the aluminium forming a tight fit the the knob, making it loose. It might not burn away completely before the metal freezes especially on such a small piece.

5. FishbonzWV

I've used clear tape before, it burns out cleanly. But, never a double layer, it was really hard to cut a single layer with the Xacto blade.
    It's in the left picture, just can't see it. I covered the hot melt with it to get a fairly smooth finish.

This is clear packing tape.
    IMG_2703.JPG

Tops likes this.
  6. FishbonzWV

Got it done.
    It's been a while since the A6 furnace has been fired. I mixed some Satanite and did a little touch up on it. The lid seal isn't great so I've been building it up every use. The insulating brick plinth had been cracking the last few uses so I wrapped it with stainless wire and coated it too. Fired the furnace on low until the devil mortar turned black then gray. Inserted the crucible with charge and left it on low for 5 minutes.
    Added the blower and ramped up the heat. The Aerobed blower died just as the furnace was getting cherry red but I was half expecting it and had the backup blower at the ready. It's a whirlpool bath spa blower with no speed control so tuning is by the gas valve. It's perfect for both furnaces.
    This piece was small so it fit in a #10 can. Another one of those 'did it take any metal?' pours.

Knob3.jpg

Knob4.jpg

Things I'll do differently on the next one:
    Make it a little smaller.
    Be more liberal with the hot melt glue on the nut and have the tape ready to smush the glue while hot.
    Turn off burner @30 seconds after last ingot melts. I did 40 seconds and it was a tad hot.

One more thing added to the To Do list:
    Wind storm a few nights ago.
    Poplar down.jpg

0maha, Jason, ESC and 3 others like this.