can I use a softer silicone for pigeon sized cast?

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Xellish, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Xellish

Xellish Copper

Hi, my supplier says they won't have the S 30 silicone home anytime soon because of Corona, so my question is, can I use the softer S 15 for my project?
    The project is a pigeon sized eagle with its wings sticking out. It has feathers sticking out of the wings, so I think it's a bit to fragile for a heavier silicone.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Sure, why not? You'll just need a stronger mother mold to help the floppy softer silicone hold it's shape.
    Can you get a stiffer silicone? It all comes down to extracting the wax from the mold. I like silicone that is brushable that hangs well onto vertical surfaces.
    I used Rebound 25.

3. Xellish

Xellish Copper

I ended up asking the store, and they recommended the harder 40 S.
    I'm building a mother mold, but I'm waiting for more plaster gauze. The first store I contacted sad it would deliver two days ago, but now they say that they don't know when they can deliver...

Jason likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

You wont notice much difference between shore 25 and 40. I run 40 when I'm feeling lazy and dont want to put too much effort in the mother mold. You should be fine.

Xellish likes this.
  5. Xellish

Xellish Copper

Ok thanks.
    I haven't opened the mold yet, but my test molds seems fine, and as you say, I can't tell the difference.