Carburetor Plenum for Automotive Induction System

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Al2O3, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Here’s the next chapter in my lost foam casting projects and of course, it involves more template guided foam machining on my pin router.

It’s a carburetor plenum and manifold adaptor for a vintage automotive induction system. The intake base is a contemporary EFI casting I’ll modify and adapt.

1 Plen on Intake.JPG 2 Plenum Halves.JPG 3 Plenum Halve.JPG 4 Plenum Carb.JPG 5 Detailed.JPG

I’ll skip over the induction system design details but as a first step the features from the mating intake manifold and carburetor base were enlarged to allow for shrinkage at the respective mounting interfaces. Beyond that shrinkage wasn’t much of a consideration. Each half of the plenum shares common interior and exterior features that all need to align so I made a set of templates to make reproducible patterns for the individual foam pattern pieces. The router jigs pictured below are kind of interesting for this one with a few new twists. I’ll document them with another installment over at my machining foam thread, haven’t gotten around to writing that one up yet.

6 Templates.JPG

Interestingly enough, these two plenum parts are actually easier to cast and finish as a one-piece casting in lost foam. It would be just the opposite for conventional sand casting. The individual patterns were not very rigid and were difficult to keep flat after being removed from the router jig even when freestanding. I was going to hot-glue on a piece of sheet metal channel to stiffen the part for molding as a chaplet of sorts.

When I was handling the two pieces as they would be assembled together I noticed they were a lot straighter and rigid as a single part so I decided what the heck…..I’ll just glue them together, cast them as one, machine the mounting surfaces and holes, then cut them apart. To give myself some machine stock I cut a one-inch spacer from one of the templates and glued it between the upper and lower plenum halves. I hope to use the section I cut out as a clamping template for cutting plenum gaskets or plenum spacer. -Worked a treat. After the engine development and testing work is complete, I may not even need to cut them apart, but it does allow me to alter the plenum height/volume with spacers and gain access to the plenum interior for finishing if so desired.

Then comes the gating and flask. Since the plenum was designed to flow air from carb flange to the base, and since the carb flanges are more massive than the remaining typical ¼” wall, it seemed natural to gate into the carb flanges and fill the part top to bottom. Only thing I was concerned about was those thin ribs between the runners in the base not filling since they would see the coldest metal. It looks elaborate but I just made a runner to connect the gates to a central sprue. The space between the gates was machined away in a minute’s work on the spindle sander with a coarse sleeve, chased the perimeter with a round over bit on the router, and then just glued on.

7 Spacer Gate.JPG

I also mudded the halves and left them to dry sitting on a flat surface before sticking the two halves together. It would be a good candidate to be dipped as one piece.

8 Halve Mudded.JPG 9 Mudded Ready To Go.JPG

For the flask, I just knocked together an mdf box with a couple studs to mount a turbine vibrator….a 20 minute job.

10 Flask.JPG

Time to Cast.

Best,
    Kelly

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  2. Al2O3

Onto casting, same old routine

1 Ready to Pour.JPG

....….I’m on a roll! So in one whack I got the upper & lower plenum, a gasket cutting template and/or plenum spacer or for engine performance and dyno development work. -Worked out pretty slick.

2 Casting.JPG 3 Casting.JPG

Here they are de-gated and cut apart

4 Degate Cut.JPG 5 Plenum Ext.JPG 6 Pelnum Int.JPG 7 Plenum.JPG

…and nailed the shrink

8 Nailed Shrink.JPG

Havin’ some fun now….

9 On Engine.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    OCD likes this.
  3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Impressive...
    What shrink factor did you use??
    Ive been going with 1.4% for 356 in petrobond.

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Next i want to see you reproduce those carb bodies... lol

5. Al2O3

.013" per inch.....1.3%. It's 356.

I bought the phenolic spacer when I bought the intake. The second photo is the shrink allowance; about .2" over 16".

11 Template and Spacer.JPG 12 Total Shrink.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

6. Al2O3

It will happen but may not be in LF. May as well. I've reproduced everything else for them.

Best,
    K

7. That looks awesome, I'm amazed at how well the foam melts away.

8. Al2O3

Thanks Mark. There have been more than a few head scratching moments for me and my foundry and pattern maker friends on this lost foam journey. I feel like I started a cross country drive, got off on the lost foam exit ramp, and never got back on the highway. One other thing that's sort of amazing, although I've had defects, I'm yet to have a shrink defect in a lost foam casting. On this one, the carb flanges are way more massive than the rest of the casting....... but no problem whatsoever, and these things are poured hot, as in high 1500sF.

That pour was all my little ole A10 could do. It wasn't brimful but easily within 1" of being so. That little dribble in my ingot tray is all that was left. I figure the casting was probably ~6.5 -7lbs and the gating and cup another 4lbs. -Almost had to break out my A20.

Best,
    Kelly

9. Robert

Robert Silver

OK Kelly. I have been doing all sand casting with patterns. Is lost foam the way to go???
    R

10. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That turned out very well.
    Nice.

I like that motor too.

I would not have expected the top gating to work, so that just goes to show what I know.

11. Al2O3

Sort of depends, but if you can make the foam pattern to your satisfaction and only want a small number of parts, it’s pretty tough to beat, especially for one-offs, just putting metal where you want it, and especially if those parts would have complex coring and/or parting lines. I think it’s probably the easiest and most economical point of entry to the casting hobby for the backyard gamer and a subject that actually warrants its own thread…..like here.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/lost-foam-pros-cons.120/

Best,
    Kelly

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  12. Al2O3

to
    That's another one of the quirks of lost foam that defies conventional casting wisdom. Once you get the metal front settled down after the initial foam contact, it just sits on top the foam and devours its way through the pattern replacing space once occupied by foam with metal....while the sand magically just sits there. If it can flow continuously from top to bottom without separation and rejoining, top gating is for sure the way to go and gravity is your friend. You just need a sprue and gating system that can insure the part is never starved for metal. For complex parts that will always have to knit, a central feed minimize travel length is usually more advantageous. In all cases and to the extent possible, one must avoid undercuts that can become difficult to pack...."leakers" as Bonz calls'em.

Best,
    Kelly

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  13. Johnef

Johnef Lead

Im new on this forum and to casting all together. But was fortunate to stumble upon Lost Foam Casting which from my green pastures seems incredible. The reason for the interest in casting is i wanna build a land speed motorcycle and the engine i want doesn't exist because of the displacement. So that got me thinking about building my own cylinder head and engine cases.

From your experience can Lost foam be the ticket? If so, how would you approach it.?Im a cabinetmaker for 20 years so MDF patterns and machining patterns i will be fine with. What scares me is the actual casting process.

I have done my due diligence and looked through every forum on the bestway to tackle it. My understanding is sandblasting glass beads, around the foam pattern will maintain the pattern shape and allow degassing, do i fill the whole box with sandblast beads or just some, and the rest can be regular sand as a filler. Do i bottom feed the foam part and the vertical riser has to be 2" away from the foam so it doesn't prematurely melt the actual foam part. I understand pressure increase if i add a stack above the sprue. Is there a formula for size of the stack for a given volume displaced of part?

Lastly ive read a patent where they mentioned mixing Silicone carbide and graphite to molten aluminum to build piston cylinder sleeves. Was wondering if anybody has heard/experimented with such process. It would be something to consider for the cylinders, eliminating the need of electroplating/Nikasil/chrome plating, or steel sleeve.

14. Al2O3

In general I'd say LF is a practical approach for such a one-off and although certainly not impossible, I'd say taking on an engine build from scratch is a pretty (too?) ambitious first casting project. Are you also an accomplished machinist and engine mechanic? If it was just making a set of finned cylinders to accept a bigger bore that's realistic. Is it a two stroke or overhead cam four stroke? Air cooled or water cooled?

The sand media will influence the casting finish. Finer sand generally means better finish and less venting capability. In lost foam, it's typical to coat the foam pattern with something like drywall mud and this provides good finishes while allowing the use of common inexpensive sand for mold media.

Probably would need to see the proposed part before comment on that.

Cant help ya there.

Best,
    Kelly

15. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

I use the super fine abrasive glass blasting beads and skip the coating as a "quick 'n dirty" shortcut to get a really smooth finish without the hassle of having to literally sit around watching "mud" dry; I'm guessing maybe you saw some of my lost foam posts and that's why you're thinking of going down that road? This shortcut works great on certain types of patterns - smaller ones with no really skinny sections to fill. Decorative stuff with thicker walls is all I've really used that method for successfully. I do not think your part is a likely candidate for that shortcut.

I'd follow the examples Kelly has been showing off lately instead if I were you. Coatings and a super hot pouring temperature, plus sand vibration and vacuum assisted pouring, etc., definitely would not hurt. The extra heat and maybe even the vac assist will be needed to get long parts with skinny sections to fill, but at those temperatures it would also mean that the super fine "sand" would no longer be as good of an alternative to using a coating; the casting would pick up the sandy texture more. You can see this in m Halloween casting contest thread; I used the beads without a coating, but I also copied Kelly and gave the melt an extra minute or two in the furnace. Worked great to get my mold to overflow enough metal for an entire extra buckle... through a drinking straw(!)... but as a result of that much superheat, the casting itself was not as smooth as I expected it to come out. So I'd think you actually would want to use a coating. Which means you can use whatever type of (dry) sand is cheapest. ...Which definitely isn't those blasting beads.

Good luck with your project and welcome to the forum,

Jeff

16. Johnef

Johnef Lead

I've been building motorcycle race engines for the past 7 years which include SBK motors. The engine building i got covered as well, the metal machining will be sublet. Its just impossible for me to do everything successfully, and the vertical mills are massive. The engine case itself will be split into 3 parts. Cylinder bores, upper case and lower case. The parting line on the cases will be were the crankshaft, transmission input and output shaft will be. The cylinders will have no coolant galleries since the motor will run Methanol. The oil passasge will be external for ease of casting for the exception of the main bearing gallery. The actual cast finish im not particular about. Mainly strength will be a concern. The projected horsepower is 500hp and 300 torque. The crankshaft alone is 50 pounds, the rods are aluminum, and pistons, wrist pins are light. But the crank will be whipping up a party on the bottom end.

To sum up my projection, my main focus is simplicity of design, strength over finish. I wanna have wood patterns made for the ease of reproduction of the styrofoam in case a motor self destructs, which usually happens when you have it pinned for long periods of time.

The cylinder head will be an Dual over head cam with shim under bucket design.

Its an inline 4 cylinder engine. Similar in design to the hayabusa.

17. Al2O3

Johnef, start a separate thread in this sub forum about the potential/feasibility for producing LF engine castings you envision and I'll comment. For starters, include the approximate size L x W x H and approximate weight of each casting you envision.

Best,
    Kelly

18. Chancre

Chancre Lead

Amazing results Kelly, It looks great. Your LF castings are an inspiration for achievement.
    Although there might be some copyright infringements with your Ford logo ;)

19. Al2O3

Thanks Chancre, very kind of you to say.

That part of the casting is certainly not my property but also, the parts are not for sale...just my own personal tribute as a Ford motorsport enthusiast, so hopefully forgiven for that purpose.

Best,
    K

20. OCD

OCD Silver

Very nice indeed Kelly, give yourself a BIG pat on the back.
    Well Done once again.

Watch out there big guy, the Insigna copyrights infringement police are coming to lock you away, A hee, a haa, their coming to lock you away. [​IMG]

Hell, Ford corp. may just offer you a job.