Casting requirements

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Khalid, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Khalid

Khalid Copper

I am new to foundry work, where we deal with sand casting of ductile iron (melt in induction furnace). I received a casting drawing and did not understand the jargon of pouring. On drawing only poring specifications are mentioned in abbreviation, i.e Fm2; Ff3; Jh-Fm3 Ff4-ig
    Then drawing also specify "oozing inadmissible" Which I suppose, indicate that mismatch cope and drag will not be acceptable.
    Find in attachment please.

Kindly help me understanding symbolic representation of casting requirements. I shall be really grateful.

Attached Files:

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Sorry man.. It's all greek to me. We have a couple guys here that do this stuff for a living, they might know. I'm a professional beer drinker.

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  3. You need professional help, not amateur advice.

If you don't understand the specifications you need to hire a consultant who will guide you and avoid costly mistakes.

4. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

My S.W.A.G. is that you are missing some references... Foot notes if you will?

V/r HT1

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Sounds like computer gobbledygook to me.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Now you sound like my wife!:eek::D

7. I set out to stop with just "You need professional help".

But that was a little derogatory to someone I don't know. If he is, as I suspect, an employee in a foundry firm trying to get free help, this is probably not the right place and if they're too cheap to hire the proper help they'll have bigger problems than understanding the terminology.

8. Robert

Robert Silver

I for one hope he replies after he figures it out....I am curious.
    R

9. Footnotes in the customer specification or perhaps casting standard paragraph references. Just not U.S. standards.

10. Khalid

Khalid Copper

Thank you all guys. Discussion with wise experience guys is always better.. we did go for hit and trial, before that multiple experiment of gating design on software (attachment).
    These terms indeed Greek epistemology :)
    Thanks again for all responses

Attached Files:

• 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      85.7 KB
      Views:
    • 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      87.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      65.5 KB
      Views:
  11. JoeC

JoeC Copper

Never seen anything like these, not American, Japanese, European or British as far as I know

Here is a very comprehensive list of National specs...doesn't look like a chemistry call out

https://www.ductile.org/didata/Section12/12intro.htm

Maybe an x-ray or NDT spec? Although unlike anything I have ever seen

Automotive or customer internal spec?

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and ask the customer...I bet that this is a "copied from last rev" note and they don't even know what it means

But oozing should always be inadmissible - I like that one - poetic

Sorry, best of luck, let us know if you find out the intent