Cupric Nitrate

Discussion in 'Castings, finishing/ repair/ and patina's' started by Kurtis Kiesel, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

This is my first shot at a patina... I made a couple extra's of this guy... so I will try a couple other chemicals later on. It is 'Everdur' statuary bronze. Patina is Cupric Nitrate, 1 table spoon to 1 quart RO water mixture: applied hot multiple times until desired finish. IMG_20200315_162428_022.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    Jason likes this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

Looks good! I like it laying into the recesses. Great contrast! Where'd you get the cupric nitrate? I still nee to try it myself.

3. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

4. You could also make your own! Copper sulfate root killer + calcium nitrate fertilizer. Dissolve equal weights of each in water, combine the solutions, filter off the white powder, and the solution is what you want. You'd need to dilute or concentrate to the desired level for patina-making.

CuSO4 + Ca(NO3)2 == CaSO4 + Cu(NO3)2

Not sure if anyone wants to go through all that trouble, but that's somewhat my area of expertise :D You should be able to find both of those items at the local hardware store, at least.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

I've got root killer from doing some electroforming. Got a suggestion for the calcium nitrate fertilizer?

6. Full disclosure, I haven't tried this myself with over-the-counter (OTC) sources. But I have done it with lab chemicals.
    Looks like you want to look for 15.5-0-0 fertilizer. Probably good if it says "water soluble" too. It might be more of a specialty fertilizer, actually, so maybe try a nursery instead of the big box stores.
    When buying chemicals locally, the cheaper the better. You don't want any added frills, just the calcium nitrate.
    I also recommend filtering after you dissolve the products first, before combining the liquids. That'll remove any other insoluble crap they put in there.
    I'd be happy to write up a full procedure if anyone actually wants to try this, lol.