First furnace build

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by vincent, Dec 8, 2020.

1. vincent

vincent Silver

Melterskelter and Petee716 like this.
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Nice job on the furnace and lifting hardware. That's a good sized furnace. What are the internal dimension's and what are you planning to cast with that beast? I presume there is a beast of a burner somewhere in the plan. Couldn't help but notice the chunk missing from the crucible. Shipping damage or an accident?

Best,
    Kelly

3. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

4A3E056F-3590-4D4B-B209-B3E84992A450.jpeg
    That’s definitely Big Boy’s kit, it makes my furnace look tiny

4. vincent

vincent Silver

The inside measures 350mm x 500mm, I was aiming at it taking an A4o but I think it might be a bit tight for retrieval so I think A30 might be it.
    The chunks out of that crucible happened in shipping, its in dispute as I write this!
    It is rather big but I would rather be over size than under size, my ambition is to make bells, just for fun, I have no idea how big I can make them if at all but I am sure going to try.
    I am not sure about a burner yet, I have only done a little research so far.

Here is a pic of it so far half.jpg testing point.jpg

5. Al2O3

Also dependent on the clearance required for your lifting apparatus. I have a 10" and 14" bore furnace and they can accommodate an A20 and A60 respectively, but they are lift-off furnaces so the crucible is completely exposed for lifting.
    There is another forum member that also just received a similar size crucible damaged in shipping. Hope that resolves favorably for you.
    I hadn't appreciated it was cut brick. What would you estimate the total mass of refractory in the furnace to be?
    I asked about mass, because you're going to need a high energy burner for that beast. What are you considering for fuel?

Best,
    Kelly

6. vincent

vincent Silver

Refractory mass probably around 300 kg /660pound, but that's a guess!
    I finished the inside with a coat of Super3000

I have thought I might run it on diesel or a mix of diesel and waste oil, whats your thoughts on that?

7. Al2O3

Wow, that's quite massive, probably between 5x to2x most hobby furnaces of the same size. It will take a long time to bring it to temp and consume a lot of energy to do so but once there will stay hot for a very long time and I'd imagine quite durable.
    It sort of depends on what and how often you will melt. Based on your stated goals, I suspect it will be occasional use for a single or several castings. I think diesel is a good fuel, but not sure how price sensitive you may be. Most here with a furnace that size would heat for the better part of an hour or more for high melt temp metals, but at you mass, that may be several times that, or a big burner, but either way, the burn rate would likely be several gallons/hr. Would you be OK with the cost of say 10gal of diesel per session? If so, diesel is a good choice. If not, and you have access to free waste oils like motor or vegetable/cooking oils, that may be a better choice, but in any case, you'll need a very high energy burner.

Best,
    Kelly

8. vincent

vincent Silver

I am not to fussed about how much fuel I use, I live in a agricultural district and I would think it is pretty easy to get hold of waste oil. I have bought a cheap Chinese brass waste oil burner nozzle 1mm but I am starting to think it is too small. I am in the middle of making the touch now, so if it is I will just have to get a bigger nozzle.

When I first decide to build a furnace, I promised myself I will not have to replace it in my life time. LOL