Foundry Tutorial Sticky

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Al2O3, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

It's usually better to ask for forgiveness later than for permission.;) Most companies prefer to throw stuff out instead of giving it to their employees. You KNOW someone somewhere will be butthurt, you got something you needed and someone else got assed out of something they didn't want in the first place.:rolleyes: It's called victim culture run amok!

Billy Elmore likes this.
  2. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Definitely the case. I was gonna rant a little about how it has changed since the family retired and let the corporate cronies take over and how they have brought their corporate management ideas with them and how much we all think they suck but they are probably monitoring my internet usage and might read it..... I agree with that sentiment....only I wont ask forgiveness I will ask for my 401K and take the job I was offered a while back running an aluminum foundry.

Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  3. Clay

Clay Copper

Great idea and great to have this resource here, FYI as AA is apparently unavailable the link takes me to the wayback machine and other links like your "My Furnace Build" no longer work.

4. Clay

Clay Copper

I did refer to your My Furnace Build frequently

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Several times I've thought about reconstituting the build thread here, in a much condensed form.......just haven't gotten around to it.

Best,
    Kelly

Clay likes this.
  6. Clay

Clay Copper

Just a thought, I printed a copy so don't do it for me thanks.

7. JCSalomon

JCSalomon Copper

8. metallab

metallab Silver

I saw this nice glossary.
    It mentions 'Melt' but not the other way liquid to solid: 'Freeze'.
    And 'Thermocouple' is also missing.
    Some other items which could be interesting:
    'Kanthal' for electric furnace element wire.
    'Arc furnace' using an electric arc (e.g. welder) to obtain very high temperatures.
    'Induction furnace' which is not yet popular for us amateurs due to the high price, but commercial foundries use them increasingly. Very quick and energy efficient.