Discussion in '3D Printing' started by HT1, Oct 4, 2020.
You find me that extrusion! I’d buy it.
Denis, I am looking for a simple I-beam construction extrusion that is about 3.5 inches tall with a 1/8" web. I do know I can get it for $35 a foot. But… Realistically I should be able to get it for $10 or less per foot.
this is a skill that Molders need to have, it is s skill, and a hard learned one , flask design(slotted Locater Bushings , Dual Pins, Adjustable V pins ETC. ) Help
, and pattern designs, ( Split patterns and Patterns Plates) help to resolve the issue entirely, but if you are working from an old part or most any very tall or deep pattern, you MUST be able to lift the mold half Directly Straight up.
Bells are a great example of this .
One of the things many Hobbiests get to avoid, is tht in most cases, your Flask pins really should be taller then the flask half that is being lifted off of so you are sure to clear the top of the pattern with the mold, again a bell is the example that most of you will be familiar with
My flask tasted sand today for the first time.
And, though I have yet to be able to lift my cope from the cheek perfectly, the bulb-nosed pins mentioned above, were a treat to use! ;-)
Seen leaning against the bench in the upper photo is a top-board for the cope. It attaches via 1/4-20 button head screws. I have found that generous blasting of the threaded holes in the flask sides seems to clear them of sand quite well. So, no sand-jamming so far.
The blue triangular band on the right in the upper pic is an aid to me to help make sure orientation of drag/cheek/cope is correct and identifies this set. There will be a red set in the not distant future.
This flask set is really nice to use.
Nice work. What does the finished mould weigh?
The finished mold weighs about 185 pounds—-the flask set is 27 and it takes three five-gallon buckets of sand plus a few pounds for the bottom board.
I am packing the the aluminum flask set and a similar-sized wooden flask set for another pour later today if the weather holds. The castings I shook out yesterday were both really nice.
I’ll be pouring the rest of the pieces for a second flask set soon.
You must have a good crane set up.
Here is a link that gives a look at the lift setup I use. Before I made the drill-motor lift, I used a chainfall on the overhead trolley. The remote-controlled lift is way more convenient though the chainfall worked well enough. My heaviest mold weighs about 400 pounds. Having two hands free to guide cope and drag when splitting one from another or when assembling a mold is a big plus.
The lift has been working trouble-free since installation in March of this year.
Separate names with a comma.