Furnace Tilting

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by swift_water, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Sometimes the crucible people use are large enough to justify having two people lift it, and then I've ever seen shanks where two people use it, one with a "bull horn" end and another which is just a rod, one man twists and one man steadies.

Assuming you knew you had to do it alone, at what point is it unadvisable to attempt to lift and pour by hand, by yourself?

I've seen the tilting trollies that have been shown on here before, I quite like that idea actually, but I don't really need to run it a great distance, just be able to lift and tilt it on my own.

The pour sizes I'll personally be dealing with on the larger end will be about 55lbs of molten copper, the only crucible I've found readily available for that size appears to be a Salamander Super A20, 30KG.

That should amount to about 2.4 Liters of molten copper.

Does anyone know if there's a specific word for foundries which are built on tilting axis? I've seen videos where people even have them attached to wenches which slowly tilt them. That might be overkill for me, it's unlikely I'll be doing a gallon at a time.

What do you think, do you think an A20 filled nearly to the brim would be safe/reasonable to expect to lift by oneself? Or should I seriously consider making myself a tilting platform for the crucible or foundry?

Thank you again!

2. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Go watch any of my recent videos, I use an A20, Im 6'2" 250LBS I doubt many people can handle a bigger crucible ALONE, A70 is the biggest a two man crew should try in brass

V/r HT1