Gear-pump pressure nozzle burner

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by PatJ, Jun 9, 2019.

1. OMM

OMM Silver

Pat, I’m sure you enjoy your well-deserved vacation.

With test after test, your burner and mine don’t look too much different. Isn’t it funny how things work out?

You can almost hardly tell them apart.... unless you hold them in your hand.

What angle approach is your air tube? I went at 30°, yours seems to look a little steeper.
    5611BBF8-ABF6-4AD6-AE4B-DE0992011FEF.jpeg

BA875817-B6EA-4558-B0CB-3E8288F4122D.jpeg

7ED539BE-D9A7-40F7-8C26-5120FACD5415.jpeg

As well what size pipe did you use??? I’m only using 4-5 psi and I seem to be getting an amazing burn through half inch ID tube.
    955D8652-56B0-4239-996B-2751097C88D7.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

The spiral wrap piece you did is too cool.
    It certainly looks familiar.
    This is a contraption that I tried on my drip-style burner, but did not have any luck with it.

rImg_2366.jpg

rImg_2367.jpg

rImg_2370.jpg

rImg_2372.jpg

rImg_2373.jpg

rImg_2374.jpg

3. PatJ

PatJ Silver

More drip-style contraption photos.

I tried this burner with and without the contraption, and no matter what, I got severe puddling.
    I was thinking "now why do I need to change from a burner that works flawlessly to one that does not work well at all?"

rImg_2375.jpg rImg_2381.jpg rImg_2382.jpg rImg_2385.jpg rImg_2391.jpg rImg_2393.jpg rImg_2400.jpg rImg_2403.jpg rImg_2407.jpg rImg_2409.jpg rImg_2419.jpg rImg_2425.jpg rImg_2427.jpg

4. PatJ

PatJ Silver

More drip-style non-working burner.

rImg_2430.jpg rImg_2431.jpg rImg_2433.jpg rImg_2435.jpg rImg_2439.jpg rImg_2445.jpg rImg_2448.jpg rImg_2456.jpg rImg_2457.jpg rImg_2461.jpg rImg_2469.jpg rImg_2472.jpg rImg_2479.jpg rImg_2480.jpg

5. OMM

OMM Silver

Holy crap. Thanks for that post. I think you put a lot more work into this than I have.

6. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Perhaps if I had used a spin vane at the end of the burner tube for the drip-style.

Here is the video.
    The fuel tank ran out during the drip-style test (see 1:00 in video), and send a supercharged spray into the furnace, which caused a big flair up.
    I about had to clean out my pants.

Suffice it to say I am permanently cured of drip-style burners.

The burn was dirty and sooty, and the flame varied all over the place, with little control.

My siphon nozzle burner starts and runs with no smoke or soot, and never needs adjusting ever.

7. OMM

OMM Silver

But I’m running a drip style burner (it is actually a stream) , do you think I’ll have the same problems?

8. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I started playing around with burners in 2012, and my first oil burner test was with a $20 Harbor Freight spray paint gun, and kerosene.

I put on a face mask, and used a propane torch on the ground, and shot out huge flames across the driveway.
    It was at this point that I thought "hey, this would make one heck of an oil burner if I could fit it into a burner tube".
    My wife said "wtf are yo doing?".

My second oil burner used a cutting torch tip, with fuel in one set of holes, and compressed air in the other.
    That burner worked well, but used too much compressed air.

IMG_4077.jpg

rIMG_4065.jpg

rIMG_4067.jpg

rIMG_4076.jpg

rIMG_4100.jpg

rIMG_4105.jpg

rIMG_4221.jpg

rIMG_4238.jpg

9. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Next burner used two siphon nozzles in a single large burner tube.
    Did not work well.
    Made some impressive big ass flames though, if that means anything to anyone (shades of Glumpy videos).

rIMG_5957.jpg

rIMG_5959.jpg

rIMG_5960.jpg

rIMG_5961.jpg

rIMG_5965.jpg

rIMG_5983.jpg

rIMG_5985.jpg

rIMG_5988.jpg

rIMG_5990.jpg

rIMG_5999.jpg

rIMG_6000.jpg

rIMG_6004.jpg

rIMG_6007.jpg

rIMG_6015.jpg

rIMG_6021.jpg

rIMG_6029.jpg

10. PatJ

PatJ Silver

1st attempt at a drip-style burner.
    I was dribbling fuel into the burner tube, about mid-length on the burner tube, and that does not work.

rImg_4294.jpg

rImg_4295.jpg

11. PatJ

PatJ Silver

1st attempt at an Ursutz.
    These really need to be made from refractory if they are going to last any time at all.
    They do work.
    I could not get this one to work correctly, but I did not have enough iron experience at the time to figure it out.

They tend to surge a bit as the oil drips into them and then flash vaporizes.

rImg_4366.jpg

rImg_4368.jpg

rImg_4374.jpg

rImg_4376.jpg

rImg_4377.jpg

rImg_4379.jpg

12. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Two Delavan siphon nozzles at 180 degrees.
    This design would actually work very well had I known then what I know now.
    I just did not know what I was doing with oil burners, and did not know what fuel flow rate to use, or how much air to use.
    This had beautifully even flame distribution that did not try to climb the back wall, since the combustion air velocity was 1/2 a single-tube burner.

If it were not for all the extra plumbing involved, I would go back to using this design, using two pressure-style nozzles.

rIMG_6053.jpg

rIMG_6055.jpg

rIMG_6057.jpg

rIMG_6060.jpg

rIMG_6062.jpg

rIMG_6064.jpg

rIMG_6065.jpg

rIMG_6067.jpg

rIMG_6069.jpg

rIMG_6072.jpg

rrIMG_6053.jpg

rIMG_6075.jpg

rIMG_6077.jpg

rIMG_6078.jpg

rIMG_6100.jpg

rImg_1560.jpg

rImg_1562.jpg

13. PatJ

PatJ Silver

The guys at Autozone would ask "what sort of car do you plan on using this muffler piping on?".
    Instead of trying to explain to a newby what a foundry is, I just said "its going on sort of a hot rod type car".

14. OMM

OMM Silver

I believe anybody making Ursutz pre-chamber burner with out refractory is doomed. Metal just melts. Anybody with the foundry already has a super Ursutz burner with inside. I’m not sure why anybody would try to melt down there burner tip. Why not let the refractory do its work?

With that big mess of tubes and wiring, you’ve got me ambitious to finish my tripod set up. Tomorrow I’m gonna start working on it.

15. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I got lambasted by some here for this valve tree that I made, but it was this valve tree that allowed me to quickly figure out that all I needed for the hottest flame was 3 gallons per hour.
    I don't use the tree anymore, but it did work very well, and this was the beginning of me being able to do consistent and repeatable iron pours.
    I have not had a bad iron pour since I used this tree with my new furnace.

rImg_1817.jpg

rImg_1811.jpg

16. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I was using the multi-flow valve tree in this test video.

The large opening in the lid was suppose to be a lid-within-a-lid design, but due to the high combustion air pressure, that had too many leaks, and I had to make a new domed lid with a smaller opening.

I think the blue flames were due to the stainless needles that I used in the refractory mix.

I basically turned out all the lights, and observed what fuel and combustion air settings produced the most brilliantly luminous surfaces. That is where the 3 gal/hr came from (actually 2.7 gal/hr).

At this fuel and air flow setting, iron in this furnace melts like butter (not quite that fast though).

17. PatJ

PatJ Silver

So every day I learn something new about oil burners.
    Despite all my experimentation, I still don't think I have the most optimized burner.

I do have a siphon nozzle burner that burns perfectly clear, without soot or smoke, does not surge at all, and never ever needs adjusting either during the pour, or from pour to pour.
    It lights instantly, and produces full power within 5 seconds down to about 30F with diesel.
    Starts and runs perfectly first time, every time.

The only change I will make is going to a pressure nozzle style with a gear pump.

18. OMM

OMM Silver

If you hit the blue, you’ve hit the actual sweet spot of perfect combustion. You might want more or less heat, depending upon circumstances. But a blue flame playing around at the exhaust has almost zero unburnt fuel. You can play with this, on one end or the other, With air or fuel.

I did not get a blue flame until I reduced my fuel to about 75%. But my blue flame was well inside the furnace. I am now trying to increase my air volume with my new burner, I hope to get blue flames at the top and white within.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  19. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Good luck with your burner(s).
    I have been watching your videos.

OMM likes this.
  20. Dazz

Dazz Copper

Hi
    I am going to have a go at building a diesel gear pump burner. If the neighbours complain about the noise/smell, I will sell the fuel furnace and try building an electric version.
    For me, a gear pump is a lot cheaper than the air compressor I don't have.

Dazz