George R. R. Martin's "The Pear Shaped Man" - A Lost Food Casting

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Tobho Mott, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Time for something silly I've been thinking about doing for several years.

So, for obvious reasons this character from a 1987 horror story had to be the subject of a lost cheez doodles "sculpture"

Capture+_2020-08-23-20-39-43.png

20200823_203729.jpg

I still have to wire brush all the burnt cheez off of him, but other than being short half of one of his cheezballhands, I'd say he came out pretty... much as intended. I almost said "good" there.

Jeff

dennis and FishbonzWV like this.
  2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I seem to recall reading about someone taking a casting setup to a festival of some kind and casting children's creations made with cheese puffs.
    **I'm glad it came out as intended** lol.

Pete

3. Tobho Mott

Yeah, I remember that, I think there was maybe an article about it linked in an old post on AA. That's where I found out about lost food casting too.

Pretty goofy stuff I know, just a bit of fun... and it HAS to be safer than eating those things. :D

Jeff

4. Aluminum is cheap...

5. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

Mmmmm....simulated cheese like product....

The "Cheesey Poof" man...

Never would have thought of that, but eh...it works! :)

Al

Tobho Mott likes this.
  6. rocco

rocco Silver

I don't know about calling this "lost food casting", I'm not sure Cheez Doodles qualify as food. :p

Tobho Mott likes this.
  7. Tobho Mott

They don't sell the actual Cheez Doodles brand from the story here in Canada (I've always been more of a Hawkins' Cheezies man myself anyhow). So these are not those. Cheezy poofs indeed.

Jeff

8. rocco

rocco Silver

FWIW, they've never been my thing, I think the last time I tried them I was maybe 10 years old, I have no idea what they're called in the stores here.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  9. Tobho Mott

Lol, fwiw these are the original Cheezies, the good ones, at least relatively speaking. They are much crunchier (and Canadian), but certainly garbage food. I'm not sure if they would work for casting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheezies

10. Petee716

You need the cheap ones. The ones pushed through the no-frills extruder.

11. rocco

rocco Silver

When I was a kid the small bags of Cheezies™ were a popular Halloween treat, I was always disappointed when I'd get those. Fortunately, I had a friend that loved Cheezies™ but hated Hickory Sticks™ and we'd always swap.

12. Tobho Mott

The trouble with hickory sticks is you can't stop yourself in time to avoid the stinging smokey mouth burn after. I'd have given you mine for your Cheezies too. I guess there might not be much going on for halloween for kids this year.

Edit - I wonder if marshmallowy stuff would be light and fluffy enough to work. Lost peeps?

Jeff

13. Petee716

Aw, man, what kind of monster!

Tobho Mott likes this.
  14. Peedee

Peedee Silver

They are called 'wotsits' over here and taste like odly flavoured packing chips. You have me thinking about what lost food castings might work.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  15. Tobho Mott

That lost food post on AA must have been from quite a while ago - I found this old pic of a sideshow blob I lost cheetos cast in 2014 after having read it.

IMG_20170317_223411673_crop_468x468.jpg

sideshow-bob-300x300.jpg

Jeff

Peedee and Jason like this.
  16. rocco

rocco Silver

Just watched the new video, you've definitely got too much much time on your hands Jeff.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  17. Tobho Mott

7 minutes you'll never get back, eh? :D

You're probably right about that, even though it really didn't take me that long.

Sometimes when I get into a bit of a slump I do some kind of goofy lost foam thing like this that's quick to set up, as a way to give myself a kick in the butt and get me going on more interesting projects.

Here's the link if anyone else is interested:

Jeff

FishbonzWV likes this.
  18. rocco

rocco Silver

That wasn't a comment on the quality or entertainment value of the video, I won't miss the 7 minutes.
    FWIW, I definitely understand the intrinsic value of doing something stupid and completely pointless every once in a while, it's good for the soul.

19. Tobho Mott

Agreed. And no worries, I took your comment as intended and had halfassedly hoped my Like and :D would so indicate. ;)

Jeff

dennis likes this.
  20. dennis

dennis Silver

Perhaps a bronze claw for the missing hand? A witch-wrought claw, one which responds to the action of curses? One which seeks prey unceasingly?