Getting white sparks on my electric element?

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by John Gaertner, Feb 3, 2022.

1. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

New question to the forum. I got my heating element installed in my burn out oven over the weekend and got everything wired back up. (This is a new replacement element for the one that burned out about 1 month ago). I set my PID controller to a very low setting of 75 F to just see that everything was hooked up OK? When the SSR sends current to the element I get some white sparks along the element in a couple places? I turned the oven off and need to figure this out? I am thinking that there is some carbon? or something from the incomplete burning of the lost wax that I was trying to burn out when the first element smoked? Or a fragment of the old burned element is there? When I took the broken old element out, I went over the groove I had cut into the IFB with a narrow stainless steel wire brush but who knows, maybe I did not get everything?

Any ideas? Suggestions. I know the element is fine, cause it was only for a few seconds before I turned the power off.

Jgaertner

2. Could be metal dust of some sort burning off of the new wire? Any smell or sounds when it happens? White sparks suggest titanium to me; what's the resistance wire made of?

3. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

No smell that I noticed but the element was only on for less than 30 second. Its a commercially made Kenametal element I ordered.

Jgaertner

4. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

Returned to working on my burn out oven. Went ahead and flipped the switch on and there were no white sparklers like before. I let it run for a few minutes. I am hoping this issue has resolved itself. I am going to finish with buttoning the drain funnel all up.

5. Seems to me like it was metal dust from the factory that just needed to burn off. Glad to hear it's working now.

6. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

Update on my electric burn out oven. I was able to run my oven outside today with good success. I put the shells that were sooty from when the oven element failed months ago back in the repaired oven and heated them up to 1250 F. All the soot burned off as well as the soot on the walls of my oven. I am going to let it cool with the lid closed and see how things look in the AM. UPDATE: ran a second set of shells and they came out great.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022