Got Carbide?

Discussion in 'link to various suppliers' started by Jason, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

In my typical style, I'm stuck looking for the crap that's impossible to find. I need a carbide tipped hammer and chisels so I'm pretty sure looking at HD and Blowes is a waste of time. Then I found this guy.

While I loath working wood, he's got some slick videos and good ideas for carbide tools.
    Here is a link to his supplier for blanks. https://centennialcarbide.com/carbi...MI_MqB9_Tu4wIVjv_jBx0fbAyLEAAYASAAEgJvKPD_BwE

If you have any carbide suppliers you suggest, please add them.
    Trow & Holden may be the good stuff, but it's more than this guy needs.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Any of you machinist weenies put carbide tips on your own stuff?
    How hard can it be? Cut the end off a chisel and silver braze a tip on and sharpen... ???

CHS.477ceb5cec5866f1797ed362850f1b90.42a8729a50684fbec6ea818a897125ef.jpg

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Carbide is of course very hard but very brittle with little to no impact resistance......might not be the best choice for a chisel tip. Other tool steels are much tougher, you just need to dress them more often. This is for chasing cast silicon bronze, correct?

Best,
    Kelly

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Its for Dalle de verre. Didnt watch the video? That picture is a Trow & Holden stone chisel with a carbide tip. Stuff cant be that brittle.

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Nope. Any video North of ten minutes immediately draws my cursor to the close button.

If you're scratching glass with a wooden handled tool that's one thing. When you post a picture of what looks more like a cold chisel and talk about brazing carbide to it that evokes thoughts of a different use.

What are you waiting for? Have at it and post up your results!

Best,
    K

6. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Hi Jason
    That is about it. It is not hard to do however using silver solder for the job is not the normal way it is done. I do know it will work though. The usual bonding metal is bronze with a good flux. I have put inserts on cutting faces for well drilling bits in this way. Some people use a Oxy-act. torch. I prefer the kiln or heat treat oven way of doing it.
    I have some hard facing material that is no more than poured bronze 3/8 +/- rod that has carbide particles the size of B-Bs mixed in.
    Are you sure you need carbide? They make some very hard facing rod that can be stick or T.I.G. welded to the tips. Carbide is very hard to sharpen without chipping!
    Joe

Jason likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

That's what I was looking for Joe. Thanks. I just found a saw blade guy on YT (a pro, not some yaywho in his garage) that was using silver solder and flux to attach carbide tips. They came pre tinned. I think ToT did a video awhile back showing how it's done. I've got a carbide blank in the mail now and bronze to try tigging it on. Got a recommendation for a flux? You think black might work for this with sil bronze tig wire?

The trouble is the one guy left on earth tipping stuff for the dalle world seems to be pushing up daises these days. :( Makers of glass slabs used to sell tools, but inventory has dried up. I heard the stories of this stuff being brittle, it's all BS. In less than the first 2 minutes of that video above, Patrick dispels that myth. Here's a link for Trow. https://trowandholden.com/ Interesting company with a long history doing this stuff. I guess if I was working rock, they would be the solution. I need smaller stuff for these, an inch wide chisel or a 3lb hammer isn't going to cut it.... lol.. get it? cut it? Ha!

Trow did offer to custom make my stuff, but I didn't dare ask how much. Afraid to ask. I'll try the DIY method, that I am not afraid to try and do. ;)
    Found this on fleabay. Seems a little high for a couple of old hammers. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mosaic-Ham...588418?hash=item1cd2cac542:g:isgAAOSwVvBc-vYg

8. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Black Magic is my go to flux. I have used it along with another I will have to try and see if I can still read the label but the Black Magic seemed to work the best.
    The trick that has worked for me is to flux, raise temperature to brazing temperatures, lightly flux again and hit- wipe VERY lightly with a SS brush just before applying the carbide.
    I have never had pre tinned carbide but it would probably be a great idea. I have had around a 95% success rate. When it fails to fully adhere it will be obvious.
    The picture is of around 7 Lb. Old destroyed tooling. The larger rounds mill ends are 3/4 inch and for the most part of the insert tooling is 1 inch. When i get up to around 20-30 Lb. I will send it in for around $6 - $7 lb.

Attached Files:

Jason likes this.
  9. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

guys I braze Tungsten to Stump cutter teeth everyday the secret is Cleanliness sand blast the steel with an abrasive (garnet) you want it rough helps with the wetting if you have to sand it use a fresh piece of paper so you dont pick up anything , you need Black flux ( it's for Higher temperatures) here is the braze filler https://princeizant.com/product/silver-braze-50 staysilv 50 is about the same and easy to find https://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/Products/Alloys/Brazing/High-Silver/Safety-Silv-50.aspx.
    try not to direct the flame at the bare braze surface directly you will blow the flux off, you can put the pieces together with the flux in place then heat . we use OXY propane torches nothing special save we are on a continuous wheel so there is more then one torch, one preheats, then one at the braze point .

if the joint surface turns black it has oxidized and the tungsten will come off

V/r HT1

Jason likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks man. Amazon to the rescue.

11. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

if you run into a Problem message me, ill give you my Phone number and try to talk you through it

V/r HT1

Jason likes this.
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks brother!

13. Jason

Jason Gold

1/4" chisel off amazon for 8bucks. Pretty hard to complain about that one. Its a start.
    I'm surprised at how easy it is to controllably chip glass. Would not have thunk it.

Screenshot_20190810-120903_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190810-120914_Gallery.jpg

14. Jason

Jason Gold

Put a decent edge on the cheap carbide chisel. Showing lots of promise here.
    20190810_215612.jpg

20190810_215635.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  15. OMM

OMM Silver

Jason, i will put a box of inserts together for you. I just recycled 20 ish lbs. and still sitting on 30 lbs.

Any shape???

Jason likes this.
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks for the offer I sure appreciate it, but I think I'm good for now.;) I've got 1/4" and the 1/2" I made is at the sharpening shop. Turn 'em in and take the cash. I've still got plenty to add to a small hammer. Cutting this stuff is an absolute nightmare! I pity the poor bastards that own a stupid carbide ring and need it cut off to save a finger.:eek: Scary stuff and hard as a mother! :mad:

17. OMM

OMM Silver

Actually carbide rings are the easiest to takeoff. Grab a pair of vise grip’s and keep adjusting (to diameter) squeeze to hear a small crack rotate about 90° and squeeze again.

Mine is one of the most impossible to come off. Tungsten carbide embedded in titanium.

It was once a round 1/4” x 1” diameter carbide insert with a hole in the middle for a screw. I wire EDM out the middle then I cold forged The titanium around it.
    047337F6-10B5-4833-B9CF-3A09C1CBB6B3.jpeg
    D65FEF6C-8B19-4D24-9876-DF23196C0A6B.jpeg 716A43EF-3338-4F6A-8213-BD6513AB5834.jpeg 93C2DF94-42B3-4C8C-BDBE-525D1FE9B3D2.jpeg 0FBE214C-8C9B-44B6-BD57-AA41D207E164.jpeg CCF16F43-2105-4FD6-A8D5-556E998C46A5.jpeg 08A1357B-C197-4334-8143-4D50AD1AE9B5.jpeg BBB61D07-B216-4394-B338-FD9CE4DF6203.jpeg 5A90FB7B-C2B8-4BAB-A7EA-986996A7C80D.jpeg 6CC70904-7C53-461E-811D-DEA4AB42F932.jpeg 7ED75967-EDA6-460F-83FA-71C249C55023.jpeg 69B38E81-7417-46F7-96CB-EC90B08EC241.jpeg
    1E1D495E-DBFC-42EB-8CE1-517C225C4418.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

Matt is that the trick to getting a stuck one off? Break it?