Had some scrap metal tested with X-Ray spectroscopy.

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Mark's castings, Sep 17, 2021.

1. I finally found someone local with a handheld X-ray spectroscope, he was kind enough to check my scrap zinc ingot, the mystery metal (lead) that separated from the molten zinc over a couple of hours and my pewter ingot. The zinc had 1% iron which is bad for recasting sacrificial anodes as iron can passivate the zinc and prevent it from working. The lead sample had 1% zinc in it which is not surprising and the pewter ingot cast from multiple items has copper, antimony, a small amount of lead and bismuth too. If it had a few percent more copper and antimony it would be 11R white metal or Babbitt bearing metal suitable for things like prop shaft bearings. If I was making bronze, antimony is not desirable but it would still be well within maximum allowable limits.

3Kg Pewter ingot:
    pewter.jpg

Recycled scrap zinc ingot:
    scrap zinc.jpg

Mystery metal from the bottom of the crucible after a few hours of melting zinc scrap:
    mystery lead.jpg

Bldr J likes this.
  2. Bldr J

Bldr J Copper

How did you find/locate this person? I have a fair bit of mystery bronze I'd like to have checked out before I use it again. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  3. My local scrap metal dealer had the unit, it cost $20K to buy.