Hello from North Iowa

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by KevinL, Jan 14, 2024.

1. KevinL

KevinL Copper

About forty five years ago I had a metals class in high school that got me started in my metal career. In this class I got to do some forging, sheet metal work, and some aluminum casting.

I did an apprenticeship and received my Journeyman card as a Tool & Die maker. For the last eighteen years I have been an Instructor at a community college teaching general machining, and toolmaking.

My wife let me build a 2000 sq foot toybox and I have been working on it now getting ready for my retirement. A combination of my woodworking tools and metal working machinery. Then an area Industrial Tech teacher told me that their school was getting ride of all the foundry equipment. I place a sealed bid and missed it - so I thought. Two months after the auction ended, I got a call from the school saying the winner never paid for the equipment and I was the second high bid if I still wanted it.

Long story short I got everything from Mini Mite Muller, Johnson Gas Appliance Co. furnace, 5' bench, 5 flasks, pertobond sand, and all the tools. Need to run my natural gas line about 20' to try the it all out.

I'll be reading through forum threads and asking questions. Thanks all. KevinL

Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hey Kevin, welcome from another Iowa guy.

When I retired three years ago my daily commute became a 10 second walk across my driveway and it still makes me smile. I'm a woodworker too but more recently have been doing more fab, machining, and casting so understand the challenges of making the two coexist in the same shop. Sure wish I had your 2000 ft2. You going to heat it all? Any? That sounds like a great buy on foundry equipment. Congrats.

I grew up around machinery at home, had similar highschool shop classes, and really enjoyed them, but sadly they're becoming a thing of the past. Glad you were able to teach......we need more folks in the skilled trades.

Best,
    Kelly

3. KevinL

KevinL Copper

Yes I heat it all with in floor heat and I love it. I have R60 in the ceiling, R30 in the walls, and R10 under the cement and between the posts going down 2'.
    Yes we do need more high school shop classes. There will be two graduating from UNI this upcoming May as what they call Industrial Tech teachers now.

4. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Welcome Kevin. Will you be running the furnace inside or outside the shop? Not sure how that plays out with a hard NG line.

5. KevinL

KevinL Copper

Don't know for sure yet.