Hello from Sweden

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Daniel Kihlgren, Dec 10, 2023.

1. Hi, new guy here from sweden who has never cast anything. My time now goes to trying to figure out how to build an electric furnace. I have the guide from Ben Baker so there is a lot to read now :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome to the forum Daniel. There are a few builds here if you search the forum. I'ved used resistive electric furances of my own design for years now. Links are below in my signature.

Best,
    Kelly

Daniel Kihlgren likes this.
  3. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Hej hej Daniel!
    What sort of projects are you going to cast?

4. Mostly parts for my motorcycle. I’m building it to look like a vintage race bike and need som very custom engine parts.

Tops likes this.
  5. SA7AEN

SA7AEN Copper

Nice to see others from Sweden, I'm located outside Jönköping.

Not very experienced with casting. Have not built a furnace yet, just a hole in the Ground with charcoal.

Another Daniel

6. metallab

metallab Silver

Hi Daniel, three years ago I built my own Kanthal furnace.
    Here videos of the build :
    https://www.metallab.net/jwplayer/v...hY2UgIDIwMjAgMSBjb25zdHJ1Y3Rpb24ubXA0Ojo6NjAw
    And test:
    https://www.metallab.net/jwplayer/v...gMiBUZXN0aW5nIGFuZCBydW5uaW5nLm1wNDo6OjYwMA==
    I now still use it sometimes beside my propane furnaces.

Kanthal wire is the best and most simple type of elements allowing a temperature up till 1200 C and allows melting aluminum, copper, silver and gold alloys.

Ferrous alloys (cast iron or steel) are not supported as these require 1500 C which can be attained using propane / air.

Electric elements for higher temperatures are Kanthal Super which is well beyond reach for hobbyists.

7. 4cylndrfury

4cylndrfury Copper

Welcome Daniel!!