Hey, Newbie here

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Jimmymmm, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Jimmymmm

Jimmymmm Copper

Hi all!

I've been forging/heating/melting for about a year and half now, and currently working on a high temp forge/crucible to melt iron and steel. I love a good challenge.

I can't believe it took this long to find you. Thanks for having me.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

Welcome aboard. You'll want to run waste oil for your furnace. And that's about all I know about melting with iron.:oops:
    We do have several guys here that are good with iron and are happy to help out.
    Study the photo below. I promise it will help you here.;):p:D

Foundry-forge.jpg

3. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Welcome, I knew Jason would be along soon to help with terminology. Don't be discouraged, wording is a pet peave around here but otherwise it's a really friendly place ;)

Jason likes this.
  4. rocco

rocco Silver

LOL, I was going to comment on the use of the word "forge" but knew Jason would have that covered. Anyways, welcome Jimmy.

Jason likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

6. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Welcome Jimmy, glad to have you.

Yes, there is a running joke about about doing forge work in a "forgery".

There is a lot of depth on this forum, but folks here are also receptive to the newcomers.

Grab a crucible and come on in.

7. rocco

rocco Silver

Things that make you go hmmm? If you have a forge (either kind) and you melt metal for casting in it, what do call it then?

Jason likes this.
  8. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Ask over on the popular forging site.
    Blasphemy

9. Jason

Jason Gold

I double dog dare you Petee to start a thread and ask Frosty! Post a link!

10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Now now gentlemen, there's a place for each forum (Just don't fart in the lift as you head over to iforge)

Really we are quite a good group of well mannered folks here and there is more knowledge than couldn't otherwise be assembled if David hadn't put the time into setting up the forum. Any questions will get enthusiastic answers from 'been there, done that' straight through to the 'science' behind it.

I'm not casting at the moment but my interest hasn't been lost.

Jason, go sit on your halloween gift from David ;)

11. Jason

Jason Gold

lol... Dont make me mail you David's aluminum present! :D