Hi from West Yorkshire UK

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by richard3737, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Hi. I've not done any foundry or casting work. I buy stuff off Ebay and sometimes I'm left with parts made of aluminium. Well, if I could melt the parts down I could then cast stuff. Specifically I could make a motor mount for a 1/4 HP motor. I have 2 exactly same motors, but one is missing it's mount My goal is to make a copy of the mount I have. I've been looking at electric furnaces and casting molds (to make ingots) with a view to buy. As to the mold: I've been hoping to find one that has several mold spaces that each can hold say 100g or so of aluminium. Rather than say a single 1Kg mold. That way when I come to make the motor mount, I can smelt more or less the amount of metal needed. I've not sourced such a mold yet. Richard

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  2. Hi Richard, welcome to the forum, you'll find a lot of information squirreled away in previous posts on how to reach your goal. It would be a lot of equipment and work to set up for one motor mount but having a foundry set up would be extremely useful for making other items too. There may even be someone nearby who can cast a new motor mount for you and show you the ropes so to speak.