How best to cast piano iron into bar stock to help a friend?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Preston Smith, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Preston Smith

Preston Smith Copper

A close friend had to close up shop during the pandemic, and we've been trying to think of ways to keep the lights on for him. He suspects some folks might pay a premium for things made from reclaimed pianos. Our first project is trying to turn a piano harp/frame into round bar stock for some lathe work. I've moved/worked on pianos before. They are dangerous in their own right, and people can get awful sentimental about them.

After reaching out to a local ferrous foundry, they said they are happy to do it, but it will only be half piano since they can't start the induction furnaces on remelt.

At home, we've got a ceramics kiln and a MIFCO Speedy-Forge that I've modified to run an oil drip burner (just drilled and installed a 1/8 nipple/street elbow on the large T fitting that runs to the end of the burner, inspired by Ironsides). It's only rated for 2300*F, but I'm content to run it hot if necessary.

I've got an A16 Super Salamander, and a smaller size (not sure which). This is all recently acquired, and we've never cast iron before. Only dabbled in Aluminum over the last few years, and watched Ironsides and Clarke tear it up.

Options as I see 'em:
    A. Get the remelt hot enough to make a phase change and let it freeze in our crucibles, then give those the foundry to reheat in the induction furnace and cast some proper cylinders for us.

B. Just go for it and cast it ourselves. The major downside is time. I work full time and he's only got enough in the bank to keep his shop lease through December. He has no casting experience, and I don't want him working on this alone.

C. Buy durabar and forget the piano premium.

D. ?

I haven't been able to contribute much to the community yet, but all comments are appreciated, constructive or otherwise.

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Never let a melt freeze in the crucible. The crucible will crack upon reheat; guaranteed. Even if you succeed, it wont likely be a money making endeavor unless there is some kind of huge sentimental premium as iron turning stock, especially of unknown metallurgical provenance (after you remelt) won't otherwise fetch a premium.

Best,
    Kelly

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'm a bit confused. Why piano metal? If you want iron just go to the scrap yard they have unlimited numbers of cast iron break rotors for next to free. Lots of weight lifting iron there too from barbells etc.

4. Preston Smith

Preston Smith Copper

Thanks Kelly. Understood on the freezing. Would it make a difference if it's being remelted in a larger crucible in an induction furnace? Presumably, there will be more room to expand than in the original crucible.

Zapins, the only reason to use pianos is there could be a premium people are willing to pay for something cast from piano iron, like a skillet for the family to remember it by or a top for the kids to play with, and it's a shame to send them to landfill. Some get scrapped, but I doubt it's the majority given the labor involved.

5. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

From a guy that has been there done that - just enough money in the bank for the next mortgage payment and needing work..........mortgage payment is a little more critical then a lease payment so less incentive to gamble:

Don't bet on "He suspects some folks might pay". Take the 'for sure' work even if the $$'s/hr are less.
    Also, don't just toss/burn the piano wood. I've scrapped old pianos that were headed to the land fill for the premium quality wood most were built with. Local craft persons and wood aircraft builders can use it. Straight grained Spruce is expensive wood.

6. Preston Smith

Preston Smith Copper

We've decided to use Durabar through McMaster. Thanks for the input everyone.

DavidF likes this.