Induction Melting Furnaces for The Hobbyist

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Al2O3, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That's sort of what I suspected. You don't get something for nothing and you cant put 15kw of power into a melt when you're only pulling half that much out of the electrical service.

My problem is I melt up to 60lbs of AL in an A60. It used to be that an A10 covered 90 % of my melts but now it's often A20 and up. With a low power induction system, it's hard to get a coil around those crucibles let alone with a coil those systems could handle. I figure realistically I need a real 25-50kw induction system, but am stuck with low voltage residential power 240vac single phase and that would eat my entire 200 amp service. I could get higher power service but even so, the current is getting a bit sporty for that voltage and 480 3ph just isn't happening residentially.

Resistive electric is slow(er), and I can manage that but being limited to aluminum our bronze at the fringe is a bummer. The cost of the imports don't bother me but they're really not melting systems. I'd love to have a real induction Power Supply and furnace but can't justify it pricewise and couldn't power it if someone gave it to me. Sooooo, here I am.

Best,
    Kelly

2. boroko

boroko Copper

a bit unrelated, but I got to see an induction hardening system in a Rockwell plant where they were making ring and pinions for semi trucks. The pinion had cross sections in the 3-4" area. The coil looked like a electricians fish tape that lowered over the pinion and changed power at each surface (bearings, seal, splines, etc) and sprayed coolant as it went according the the heat treat desired. The whole cycle took maybe 10 seconds, and you could hear when something went wrong in the cycle. A couple of times I was quick enough to look over and see that pinion turn yellow hot and fall out of the centers. It was fed by 440vac 3 phase, and each phase had a 100A breaker. Mostly ran around 10kHz, but varied for different sections of the part. Manly machine.

3. Lou

Lou Copper

Kelly,

I looked at what is probably best described as a melting system that you have on Youtube. Really nice job. All I can say is I wish we had a guy like you on the team at work!!

When referring to "cheap induction heaters on eBay" meant to say orange and blue not orange and yellow (that's the furnace temperature thinking!). They're junk.

You aren't kidding when you say it's getting pretty sporty...lots of amps. The electrical engineering behind running that on homeowner/residential service is beyond me. Tim Williams would know what best to do. He used to be on all the metal casting fora way back when, now I believe he designs induction systems for a living. I'm guessing single phase would be the problem.

I think 60 lbs of aluminum (or bronze) would easily be manageable in the 35-50 kW delivered range.

4. metallab

metallab Silver

Melting aluminum, bronze or copper can even be done in a slower resistance furnace, as long you use proper Kanthal A1 grade wires / elements. Chamber and crucible temperature can reach 1250 C.

5. Al2O3

Thanks Lou, wish I had commercial melting equipment and the knowledge to properly use it.....:)

Agreed, but here's what that means with residential 240vac single phase power.........208 amps! Now I could have a 400 amp service installed, at a cost, but after all, the utilities are in the business of selling electricity, and they will, BUT, that would require very large conductor and not practical. Now I could step that up with a pricey transformer, and maybe even use an RPC to have 480 3ph, but that would require a very high investment, and I still don't have an induction melter. That kind of power really doesn't belong on a portable power cord.

The other problem I have, my equipment needs to be portable or at least on wheels. Even if I had the space to permanently dedicate, which I don't, it's not the right kind of space for such a piece of equipment because it's a 9ft ceiling with 24'x24' drywall stick construction with a lot of other stuff in there and fire hazard would be just too high. If I had a pole barn, at least this part would be different.

With only ambitions of Al, Cu, and Fe alloys, all I really have to gain is speed of melt and iron capability. There have been remarks about induction being more efficient than resistive elective, but I don't think it is........faster yes, but 4x the power to melt in 1/4 the time is the same energy consumed. Resistance heating is very efficient and clean. Alas, a fuel fired furnace is much more practical choice given all of the above........:( . As a caster I still have induction envy.

Best,
    Kelly

6. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

For my cook top I know it is more efficient............but that is apples and pineapples. Our resistive units have the advantage of insulation that my cook top doesn't. There may still be a slight advantage but for the few electrons saved I'm thinking you would have to do some very precise experimenting to find/prove the difference.

400 amp service is even more expensive to install with the 2020 NEC. That means 2 200A disconnects at the meter now. Parts, in my part of the world, are "Not in stock. On back order". Same for new 200A service.

7. Al2O3

I just figure the conversion from electrical resistance to heat has to be very, very, high 99.+%, and if I can put my hand on the outer furnace skin and only detect a small temp rise, other than the energy to raise the temp of the crucible and furnace mass, the rest must go into the melt. Where else can it go?

Best,
    Kelly

8. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

It is funny how all of us hobbyists like induction furnaces. Because over the last six months I have done tons of research on them. And I didn't find a lot but I kept my eyes peeled and found this video the other day. In my opinion, it is really really cool.

Patrick

9. Al2O3

I watched that one a while back. I was a little embarrassed for myself for having watched the whole thing. I think he's more interested in being a YouTube star than a foundry man. Another one of those guys that melts stuff then throws molten metal in the air, ground, water or whatever. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

As far as the melter, hard to say how durable and versatile of a foundry furnace it might be. Think it was just built for the video.

Best,
    Kelly

10. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Okay, well the principles are there. And I think with some modification it would work fine. I also think it is helpful that he does have all of the parts listed. When I get a little ahead I will try that build and see how it works. I just found it to be the most informative induction project I have seen to date, which after tons of searching I found pretty cool.

Patrick

11. Al2O3

IIRC, on the video he said he spent as much or more on parts than just buying the equivalent import.

Best,
    Kelly

12. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Yeah, but importing is not that easy nowadays. So in the long run I think it would be cheaper to build it, and then another plus is knowing your machine inside out.
    Patrick

13. metallab

metallab Silver

Indeed, Backyard Scientist is more a Youtube star, but his experiments are really cool (or hot!) !
    For me, an induction furnace is still out of reach, as the cheaper ones (< $1000) on ebay are crappy and are usually not protected against overloading, with frying the Mosfets as a result. Moreover, these small units don't get hotter than resistance furnace or a fuel fired furnace.
    When I really need high temperatures (> 1500 C) I still use my DC welder and then for small quantities only (e.g. making synthetic rubies or melting stainless steel).
    The really nice ones of which e.g Lou tells which allow melting Platinum, are brutally expensive for hobbyists as they are for commercial use.

14. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

I am not sure how much you know about building induction furnaces so I will give you some tips that I wish I knew before I tried to build one. The power supply (inverter) and the heating coil which surrounds the crucible need to be matched. To give you a real world example, using a electric motor to drive a load with a mismatched transmission will stall the motor. The electric motor is the inverter and the transmission is the heating coil. The only difference between the motor and the inverter is the inverter will not tolerate overloads but an electric motor will run with an overload a lot longer than a inverter. If you can get a old induction cook top and take the cover of and see how many turns of copper wire are on the heating coil. Then make another heating coil with six turns for a small crucible and connect it up to the induction cook top power supply. Two things can happen, you will destroy the inverter or a inbuilt circuit breaker will trip and shut the cooker down before the inverter is destroyed. Frequency and voltage control the number of turns and the size of the coils. If you want learn about building induction heaters I made two videos about the subject, the first video is about modifying a inverter microwave to make a simple induction furnace. the second video shows how to test large I.G.B.T. transistors which are perfect for high power induction furnaces. Induction cook tops and inverter microwaves are great places to start to understand how induction heating works.

15. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

Have you talked with Steven Maxx of Maxx casting in Kalona, Iowa? He uses an induction furnace mostly for bronze and occasionally for iron. His crucibles are large. His website shows two just outside his front door.

16. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I think you mean Steven Maxon. I have a feeling Spellcheck may have “helped” you here

https://max-cast.com/

17. Al2O3

Hi Rodney. I have not spoken to him. I'm sure I could figure out use, but if you read up the thread, it's not just a matter of flipping a single switch for an induction system to melt any metal.

While it's true I wish I had industrial grade melting equipment, even if someone gave it to me, I don't have the (dedicated) space nor power available for a system that would meet my all my present needs.

Though I'm sure I could have additional (try another 200 amps on top of 260amps now in the shop) service installed, it becomes an impractical amount or current for residential 240 voltage, and 480 three phase simply is not available. Now as previously mentioned, I suppose I could set my sights lower on power for a system that could meet some of my needs but that would mean adding a third furnace while the two I have suffice.

I have so many (aluminum) automotive projects ahead of me, bronze and iron just aren't making the priority list at the moment, but if I really needed to do so, my rigs are capable of being fuel fired.

Best,
    Kelly

18. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

I was reacting to your 'wish' and thinking be careful of what you wish for.
    Installing a permanent power source feed for an adequate induction furnace for hobby purposes is probably more costly than can be justified even if possible. Given that most of your time is spent preparing the molds and that melting and casting is pretty quick, I think that renting a generator to power the furnace might be a viable plan. A 1,000 kW, three phase generator fits on a 40' trailer.

19. metallab

metallab Silver

Thousand kilowatts ? What are you going to cast ? That looks more like an industrial setup...

20. tim81

tim81 Lead

Don’t even bother now with induction no electronics in sale for this kind of setup. Most out of stock. With war raging in Europe and china preparing a new one it will be a while till new components will be available to the open market . Even if you manage to get them think about spare parts.