Interesting thing today.

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Aug 25, 2021.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Had a racing pigeon show up inside the plant today. I caught it and put it outside, only to find it came back inside a couple hours later.
    So I tracked down the owner and left him a message. Still waiting on a call back......
    So now I'm kinda stuck with this bird for a couple days (giving it food and water then sending it on its way)

Just curious if anyone else has had this experience...
    20210825_192758.jpg

Clay likes this.
  2. Clay

Clay Copper

Not with a pigeon, amazing you found the owner.

3. DavidF

Owner got in touch with me this morning and is mailing me a box to ship the bird back to him.
    He said that it is a very good bird that must have been separated from its flock and went the wrong direction. He is very thankful that I caught and kept it.
    If you ever find a banded bird you can look up the information on the band to see who it belongs to and where it's from. Here is where I found this birds information.
    http://www.ifpigeon.com/

Billy Elmore and Clay like this.
  4. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Will it survive?.......or is there a special process for shipping small animals?

Best,
    Kelly

5. rocco

rocco Silver

Out of curiosity, how far from home was the bird?

6. DavidF

Yes, special shipping, special box.
    A friend of mine orders birds like this all the time.

7. DavidF

Only a couple hours drive from here. But without its flock, it would never make it home.
    One of his other birds wound up in Ohio, and another in Western PA.
    the owner is paying to have them all shipped back home..
    Birds were released in Eastern PA a few days ago.

8. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

Oh yeah, there are tens of thousands of baby chicks of all kinds shipped in the postal service each year.

9. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Didn't know that makes sense though.......and no,never had a racing pigeon take up residence LoL.

Best,
    K

10. DavidF

Oh, birds live in Central NJ

11. dtsh

dtsh Silver

I have a friend who works at the post office...says people mail birds all the time....sometimes the boxes go quiet.

12. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I've seen chickens, ducks, quail, pheasant, honey bees, tarantulas, earth worms, meal worms and the stinkiest of all, crickets. Most all are shipped in the spring when temps are favorable. When the birds come in on a long haul semi they are given to the dock expediter and he calls the phone number on the box and asks the new owner if he wants to come get them or put on the next truck to his local P.O. His choice. If they go to the local P.O. they usually ride in the cab of the straight bed if there are not many boxes. Everybody that handled them peeked through the holes to check them out.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup.. Crickets are the WORST! They often went by UPS next day air and I had to smell them at 5am. Not fun!
    It's gotta be the rotting potatoes they put in their box for food. N A S T Y

I didn't know people still mess with racing pigeons. That's kinda cool in this day and age.

14. Peedee

Peedee Silver

There is quite a big following in the UK still, pigeon fanciers tend to be of an 'interesting' type of person, shall we say (Although I guess you could say that about metal casters!!)

15. rocco

rocco Silver

FWIW, know of at least one pigeon racing club in my area.

16. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Didn't Wolfman Jack push baby chicks when he was blasting out of the high watt station in Southern California. My Grandmother used to listen to him on the skip in Oregon.