Is this fireclay crucible interesting for cast iron ?

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by metallab, Oct 17, 2021.

1. metallab

metallab Silver

2. It looks like the size and shape of a fire assay cupel used to oxidize the lead from a lead silver mix:

cupel.jpg

3. Old timer

Old timer Copper

I would think they are fairly fragile.

4. And single use disposable too.

5. metallab

metallab Silver

I got this idea from NOBOX7, he said that these fireclay crucibles are rather durable, which I doubt. Probably they are fragile.

Admitted, he has some weird ideas. I heard him talking about recovering precious metals from computer waste, like gold, platinum, palladium and Rubidium. The latter is not precious at all, it is an alkali metal like sodium and potassium and it reactivity is even worse than potassium.... And his hunting to iron melting is very inefficient, he uses hundreds of kilowatts, a high pressure oxygen cylinder and and air compressor for melting such a fireclay crucible of 1/4 liter with iron and steel and he does not make 2450 F.....
    Well if you have the resources (and he has it), get an induction furnace for far less money and costs a lot less energy.

6. Lou

Lou Copper

We use fireclay as throwaways for melting scrap Pt and melt sampling (in induction melter). The silica is floating to the top usually as we are at 1800-1880 C and every now and then we have a melt and crack appear but I would imagine these would easily, easily handle cast iron melts, just mind the use of borax:

https://dfcceramics.com/index.php?id_product=27&controller=product

it would actually be rather trivial for me to melt iron in it. I have melted stainless 316 in these.

If anything is their weakness, it's CuO.