ITC-100 ITC100 for an electric kiln

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Smoking Shoe, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

I tried the search function but it doesn't like ITC-100, ITC or 100 as a search parameter. The last time I was building a gas fired unit I planned to use the ITC-100 but my current project is electric. I'm aiming for low mass and well insulated but every little bit helps keep the cost down over the long term.

The questions are:
    Is ITC-100 going to have as much effect in an electric kiln as it would in in a gas/oil fired unit?
    Anyone here have any real world before and after experience with the ITC-100?

This PDF has some numbers, but not enough to make any conclusions. It doesn't look like much more than some numbers to make the marketing department happy. Anyone know the duration of the flame test? Is there an ASTM test for this?

Attached Files:

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I haven't used it Shoe but I wouldn't bother with it, especially in a resistive electric furnace. With an internal temp of 2000F I can barely detect a temperature rise on the outside of my molded ceramic fiber resistive electric furnace and though my IFB version was slightly warmer (I'd say <+50F over ambient), I could always comfortably hold my hand on the metal exterior surface. It's a closed system so don't think I'm suffering any radiative heat loss.

Now maybe you could argue a higher rate of radiative heat transfer internally to the crucible, but my coils are spaced every 1 1/2" up the height of the interior furnace bore and the entire furnace wall is essentially a glowing bright orange/yellow radiator. The crucibles fit fairly close, about 1 1/4" gap for an A20, so they get a very good look at those coils. ITC was a pass for me.

Maybe some benefit on wear and tear on refractory at the very high end of a high energy fuel fired iron duty furnace but for resistive electric, IMO, no value for money.

Best,
    Kelly

3. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

Exactly the kind of feed back I was looking for - and pretty much in line with my suspicions.
    :cool: