Learning about foundry work and metal casting

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Mark's castings, Oct 1, 2021.

1. I found this image the other day and thought it applied to my metal casting learning experiences:

dunning kruger club.png

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I’d never heard of it before, but once I saw it defined I recognized it immediately.

Mark's castings likes this.
  3. I like that the first peak is named "Mount Stupid"....I can only hope I'm on the right hand slope though :oops:. I need a small poster copy for the workshop wall.

4. rocco

rocco Silver

Couldn't find any good posters but I did find this T-shirt.

duuning-kruger tee.jpg

5. I did an image search of that phrase, what a can of worms, lots of T-shirts though.

From: https://www.intercaetera.com/posts/dunning-kruger-club

"The Dunning Kruger effect is something that most craftsmen (including programmers) have come across in their own pursuit of knowledge. It's a particular kind of cognitive bias, where novices greatly overestimate their own abilities. It happens to everyone - however it is in the best interest of the craftsman himself to understand it and get over it and also in the best interest of the organisation to facilitate working through the "Dunning Kruger club"."

and:
    "Let me be absolutely clear about one thing though: the Dunning Kruger club is not a place you want to be at too often, and not for an extended period of time - you want to identify that you're there and get out as soon as possible."

One of the solutions is to talk about the skill you are learning (just like this forum):

"The bottom line is — what you think does not generally matter until you get it out somehow. It can be on a piece of paper, or through talking to another person. But until you do it, it will remain in your head and misguide you into believing you might understand something you don't. The very process of speaking — and the process of formulating what you want to say that accompanies it — is what's going to make your journey through the Dunning Kruger club that much more easy."

So you could argue that using this forum proves you're seeking knowledge and on the right hand slope of Mt. Stupid. ;)

Meteor Monowatt and dtsh like this.