Machining my castings

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by garyhlucas, Feb 18, 2021.

1. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

Finally got around to machining the castings I made for the FIRST Robotics team CNC router. I screwed up not allowing enough for shrinkage but managed to adjust the machining on mating parts to compensate.

A fair amount of machining and tapping on all the parts and I was pleasantly surprised by having almost no porosity.

Looking forward to more casting when the weather clears up.

dtsh likes this.
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Good to hear Gary. Glad they worked out well. I'm waiting for a break in the weather myself to pour a couple lost foam castings.

Meanwhile, I heated treated and started machining several lathe pulleys I previously cast. The little lathe is making it's own future power train.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/lathe-motor-and-countershaft-pulleys.1399/

They only got a T5'ish heat treatment but when tapped with a ruler they went from a dull metallic thud before HT, to ringing like a bell after. I did this in my electric furnace but it can be achieved in a household oven if it doesn't cause divorce. As long as they are heat treatable alloy, it will significantly improve mechanical properties, make a big difference in machinability, and reducing aluminum build up on cutter surfaces.

Best,
    Kelly