Making wax fillet strips for lost foam

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by rocco, Nov 9, 2021.

1. rocco

rocco Silver

I came across this video today, working with wax is kind of outside my wheelhouse so I was hoping some of you with more experience would comment.

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

You can buy boxes of fillet wax formulated for lost foam for $35 from Freeman Supply, so it's really just a matter of whether it's worth the effort to build an extruder. For small fillets, it doesn't need to be a fillet profile, it can just be rope and wiped in with a fillet tool and scraper.

In fact, the smallest fillet stock Freeman stocks in the LF wax is 1/8"r. I often want 1/16"r, so I extrude my own in small quantity. My extruder, is a plastic syringe, heated in cup of water on an induction coffee cup heater. Then I cut the syringe nozzle opening to the desired diameter. Voila!

Best,
    Kelly

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Get a silicon baking mold, a large square flat bottomed one. Then melt wax and pour it into the bottom to desired thickness. Then let cool until firm but not 100% cold (so it is still slightly pliable) then cut strips using a cheap paper guillotine cutter. Super easy. You can churn out a ton of small stringers like that.

The larger diameter rods over half an inch are harder to make because super thick blocks of wax are hard to cut on the paper cutter.