Matchplate Trial. Simplest posssible patterns. Good learner Project

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Melterskelter, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Yes, of course. I've pulled the matchplates in question a few times since posting and have done no side rapping at all. Just some down tapping or no tapping. That solves the problem of vertical wall damage I was having. This undoubtedly can also be a factor in lightweight loose patterns and follow boards if sufficient side-pressure is developed. I think it is the weight of the matchplates that made the potential problem that I had not previously noted more evident. That and the quite short vertical height of the pattern walls so that side forces were concentrated along walls with little surface area that could resist the induced side pressure. The side walls are just shy of 1/2" high. These patterns probably have the least vertical height of any I have previously cast matchplate or not.

Learning as I go...

Denis

2. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

And here is one Mold of two I did today with only top tapping, no side rapping. They were near perfect draws. I use 2.5 deg of draft. 836D1A18-4403-4BF0-87F7-7BC13DE662D0.jpeg

I now have nearly enough panels now to make 3 more cope, cheek, and draft flask sets—-36 panels for two sizes of flasks. These molds are so quick to make that its kinda fun just packing them.

Also, the little girl and her mom were at the Foundry today to mold and pour another snake for her. As good luck would have it, it molded well poured well and she was delighted. Good times! She also thought the match plate was “way cool.”

Denis

Tobho Mott likes this.