Metals Suppliers

Discussion in 'Forum suggestions' started by John Homer, Apr 16, 2021.

1. John Homer

John Homer Silver

I have had difficulties finding company's that sell to the general public for different type metals... specifically bronze. Would a thread be possible for this? Thanks for your consideration.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

John Homer likes this.
  3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Lancaster foundry supply. Lancaster PA

John Homer likes this.
  4. John Homer

John Homer Silver

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Lancaster is pretty cheap. Cheapest I've found at least. $4.10/ lb when I bought. Shipping is cheap too

John Homer likes this.
  6. John Homer

John Homer Silver

Will have to check them out. Just looked at the web site. Must have to call for a quote?

7. Jason

Jason Gold

For a 1000lbs, yeah, I'd want a manager on the phone and then pay 2.85 a pound SHIPPED! That's a good sized order. Go for the jugular and save yourself some coins!

John Homer likes this.
  8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I usually call. The manager is nice but the price is fairly close to the spot price of metal (the price its sold for in large in quantities) so there isn't a huge amount of wiggle room I'd imagine. It changes depending on price of metal.

John Homer likes this.
  9. John Homer

John Homer Silver

Thanks

10. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

11. John Homer

John Homer Silver

12. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I don’t really know about marine castings. HT1 and others would know better than I. We’re talking about silicon bronze (Everdur).

John Homer likes this.
  13. John Homer

John Homer Silver

I can use the Everdur for what I'm doing. Thanks

14. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

alot of stuff works great for marine castings, exactly what depends on the application, Navy G is a good all purpose, as is 85,5,5,5 though it has lots of lead, so no drinking water
    Magnesium Bronze , Mag Brass, high strength yellow brass( all the same ) is best for corrosion and wear resistance ( it's what rudders, and propellers are made of ) if you can give an exact application, I can tell you what to look for

V/r HT1

John Homer likes this.
  15. John Homer

John Homer Silver

Thanks. I will making reproduction marine hardware. Oar locks and pins that go on the oars of row boats. Also other trim hardware for canoes and some motor boats.

16. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

here more info then you could ever need, and leave MLC a likee

John Homer likes this.
  17. John Homer

John Homer Silver

Thanks Will do

18. JBC

JBC Copper

Anyone make rings from silicone brass? Would that not be a good metal for a ring (green fingers)?

I am waiting on an MSDS for silicone bronze supplied by Industrial Metal Supply to see if it had any lead in it (salesman didn't know).
    Would silicone brass be a better choice over silicone bronze? Other metal?

I lost a gold ring that I have modeled and cast in Zamak and now want to cast it in something that looks close to gold but not gold.
    Any help with what metal I should be looking into would be great, and where to get it.

19. John Homer

John Homer Silver

I use silicon bronze and when it's buffed out it's very close looking to gold.

Jason likes this.
  20. John Homer

John Homer Silver

Picture

Attached Files:

JBC likes this.