My small propane fired 5-gallon furnace

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by bobhurd3d, May 28, 2022.

1. bobhurd3d

bobhurd3d Copper

I will be posting my pictures of my 5-gallon furnace (on this site, once I find a free website to host my pictures since I cannot upload them here), meaning that the furnace itself is 5 gallons, not the capacity of my crucicle by any stretch of the imagination. I have revivified this old furnace after over a decade of non-use, now that I am retired. I will also post pictures of me firing it when I get around to that in the next few days.

- bob

2. rocco

rocco Silver

Hey Bob, you CAN upload your pictures here. Just click on the upload button.

Screenshot 2022-05-28 at 07-32-20 My small propane fired 5-gallon furnace.jpg

bobhurd3d and Tobho Mott like this.
  3. bobhurd3d

bobhurd3d Copper

Thank you, rocco! I did not see that since it was at the bottom of the page. I will post the pictures shortly now. :)

4. bobhurd3d

bobhurd3d Copper

2022-05-27_12;24;25 Crucible inside furnace.jpg 2022-05-27_11;31;15 Crucible on top of furnace with lid.jpg 2022-05-27_11;33;53 Crucible measurement .jpg
    My "5-gallon" furnace and small crucible (just out of about 10 years of storage) pictures. They are ready for use. I will post pictures when they are in use, melting aluminum (with the furnace on top of bricks over a concrete driveway and not near my house or any wood or combustible substances), probably tomorrow...

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Bring both up to temp more slowly on the first fire. They undoubtedly picked up moisture over the storage period.

Best,
    Kelly

bobhurd3d and Petee716 like this.
  6. bobhurd3d

bobhurd3d Copper

Good advice!!! Thanks for that warning. Living in the subtropics here in Florida I can see how moisture might be absorbed by the refractory. If I bring the heat up too fast, I run the risk of spalling on the inside of the furnace. Or worse; it spalls on the top and hits me with hot refractory.

- bob

7. bobhurd3d

bobhurd3d Copper

Fired, slowly, my furnace for the first time in over a decade. Can't see flame in this bright Florida sunshine. Melted about 1 pound of aluminum in crucicle inside of furnace. Dumped it into a steel muffin pan to save for future.

Easy peasey.

Picture:
    2022-05-28_17;32;42 Furnace Firing taken from bob's camera and converted using heictojpg.com.jpg

- bob