need help with my solenoid diesel pump burner

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by clehn8ok, May 2, 2022.

1. clehn8ok

clehn8ok Lead

Hello,

Today i finished my diesel burner for my future furnace, and i wanted to test it out, but it kinda didn't work...

I know usually a burner sits in the furnace, and has backpressure, and also the fuel and air can mix inside the furnace, but nevertheless i tried it in "open air", but i couldn't get a stable flame...

Maybe some of you have some ideas....

my setup:
    • solenoid pump VSKX125 ( puts out 12 Liter @ 10bar / 3gal@145psi
      i didn't measure the pressure, but the flow was 0.2Liter/min -> so excatly what was in the manual
      if i tried anything but wide open, the diesel wouln't atomize properly
      Link:

• the nozzle: 2.5gal/h 60 deg
      Link:

• the blower: EPM Pabst g2e160-ay50-91
      has 270Watt and puts out 355m³/h

IMG20220502170433.jpg
    IMG20220502170437.jpg
    IMG20220502170448.jpg
    IMG20220502170926.jpg
    IMG20220502170452.jpg

i will also upload a video, so you can see whats the issue....

2. clehn8ok

clehn8ok Lead

here is the video:

i suspect the nozzle is too large, since i can't really down tune it, without the nozzle starting to dribble and piss all over the place

also according to my math, air shouln't be a problem:

• 0,2Liter/Minute -> 12Liter/hour -> 12Liter diesel= 10kg Diesel -> for combusting 10kg Diesel you need 145kg air

• my blower provides (according to the manual) 355m³/h =1m³ air weighs 1,3kg -> 461kg/h air is provided by the blower, which should be plenty

but from my gut feeling i'd say, it is to much fuel....

3. Jason

Jason Gold

I run straight jet fuel with no pump. I use compressed air to run my venturi. Yup, I'm a KWIKY burner guy. I never tried a pump and gravity feed works fine at my piddly 1gph.

The real test will be when you stick it in a confined space and close the lid. That's when the real issues come up. You'll probably find out it doesn't require the air flow you are thinking.
    Good ol 14.7-1 NEVER changes. I think diesel is 14.5 to one, but that's not important. At that mixture, ANY departure from it, be it adding more fuel or more air will only result in lower peak temperature. There is only so much heat that can be attained from a certain amount of fuel. Control of the mixture is really important if you don't know. Peak temp is not where aluminum or bronze is melted. Those are melted slightly rich of peak temps. Guys get whackadoo and confused when you mention oxidizing or reducing environment, so it's easier to explain it in terms of rich or lean of peak temperature. If you've ever messed with a carburetor this will make sense.

Now build that furnace and let's see what happens.

4. clehn8ok

clehn8ok Lead

I found the issue, the nozzle wasn't sealed against the adapter, therefore most of the pressure didn't go through the orfice.

After machining a recess and adding a flexible washer, it did perform alot better.

But as Jason said, the real test will be in the furnace, so now i am waiting for my foundry supplier to mix up a batch of refracotry.

Kind regards Christoph