New Here, but not new to casting.

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Raymond Brandes, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Al2O3 likes this.
  2. rocco

rocco Silver

Welcome Ray. I think a lot of us here are already familiar with your foundry pages, great stuff there.

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hey Ray, welcome. That's a very nice website you have built with a lot of interesting pages. I'll take it all in with time. I have seen some of it before. Were you previously an AA forum member?

I took the shop tour. The two cnc machining centers did not go unnoticed.....not you average hobbyist!

Best,
    Kelly

4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome to the home foundry! A while back I made a sand cast matchplate vibrator loosely based on the one on your site.

Jeff

5. Kelly,
    I remember being on Hobby Casting or was it Casting Hobby (or both) ten or 15 years ago. AA does not ring a bell.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Funny! I came across your yt channel the other day. Your old car stuck out to me as I thought it was a trabant. Funny how it resembles a trabby. Or is it the trabby resembles the 700?:p
    That's a rare beast indeed.
    Anyhow, welcome to the nuthouse!

7. Jason,
    I never heard of the Trabant. I had to look it up. What I get most is that it looks like an Amphicar. I had one in the 60's when I was young. Back then there was a 750cc racing class and the 700 dominated. When it became a one liter class, the car could not keep up with the bigger engines.
    Here is the one I had back around 1968. first700.jpg

8. Jason

Jason Gold

amphicar maybe .. The trabby was a fiberglass, air cooled front engine, fwd 2stroke east german piece of shit. The 700 is no doubt a distant cousin or served as competition for the time to the dreadful "sparkplug with a roof" They did however sell millions of the things and kept a lot of poor people on the road. How it moved out of it's own way is still a mystery to me.

Funny, I had never heard of the 700, but knew about the trabby and rustprone amphicar. I spent a lot of time in Germany in the airforce, so if it was weird, cheap or unique, I probably knew about it or owned one. The 700 I missed and was probably busy drooling over the coveted 507. Wish I knew about the 700 back in the 90's. I would have had one for sure to putz around in instead I did the 2cv. You do know the germans pronounce it (B-M-Vee)
    right? W's are spoken as V. As we say work, the say, verk. Kinda similar to their ch or th issue if I remember. Had a frauline there with a hilarious issue saying birshday. (birthday) Good times, lots of beer, brats and chasing tail.
    Tchuss!

9. Jason,
    I worked with a lot of Germans when I served my apprentiship.
    The saying in the shop was "Don't get your tit caught in the wise."

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup, that's how you'd say it.:D

11. Welcome! Got lost in your website for a long time! I quite enjoy the gun projects. I'll have to check out the youtube channel when I get home from work. What kind of gun related castings have you done?