Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by JBC, Mar 22, 2021.

1. JBC

JBC Copper

I just joined and wanted to pop in to say hey.
    I've been casting crap for a couple of years and now moving to better equipment for better castings.

I'm on the hunt for good investment material in California. I really don't want to double my cost due to freight.
    If suggestions would be appreciated.

jbc

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome JBC.
    Have you tried riogrande.com for investment?
    Not sure if that is your closest supplier or not.

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome JBC. Let's see your kit!

Pete

4. JBC

JBC Copper

I'll go out and take pics later today and start my personal wall of shame here.

I haven't found one in California yet. I might have to buy everything I need from Rio Grande to get that freight-demon tamed.
    Once I do and get this system up and limping I'll post an update.
    I got the forum link after a reply on a YouTube post by Jason - https://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?members/jason.11/

Jason likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

Welcome! Nice to see you found your way here! Where are you in California? I will tell you a secret! Ransom & Randolph has a freight forwarding warehouse in Burbank! This means, you can buy stuff from Ohio and they will deliver it for free to California! You pay Ohio, then pick it up for FREE in Burbank!

I have warned others about home brew refractories and investment. If your end goal is to cast metal, then do it! Pay the money and get good at casting metal. Once you are comfortable and even mildly successful, then try making your materials. This way, you will know when you have it right! If you cheap out on 40bucks in shipping, you could spend the next 2 years failing with your metal casting and devote endless hours chasing your tail just to save a few bucks. Time is the most valuable asset everyone has. Everyone of us has an expiration date, we just don't know what it is.
    Use your time wisely and welcome to the forum!

dtsh likes this.
  6. JBC

JBC Copper

Thanks! I made it. You sucked me in with those videos that start by tossing a bottle cap over your sholder.
    I bought a bunch of stuff from Rio Grande and used the kids inheritance = painless :)

I'll check out R&R for next time thanks.
    I agree about learning the right way first but you wouldn't know it by actions. I'm looking forward to what success looks like.

Now I need to (take pictures of my backyard gear) find Zl12 aluminum that myFordboy uses (he's in the UK so I need to find what its cousin the states).

Jason- you use what looks like suspendaslurry. Do you still boil those out?
    If so would a layer of sodium silicate help keep those shells from getting waterlogged and cracking?

Jason likes this.
  7. JBC

JBC Copper

I'll have to call them to check that out. The website doesn't reflect that....don't they know COVID!

jbc

8. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you're well on your way. Looking forward to seeing what you can do!

You mentioned something about pictures? :D

Jeff

9. JBC

JBC Copper

I used to have a tub with sand next to my 'Hot Zone' but I haven't poured anything in two years.......maybe more).

My smelter-

Foundry.jpg

A good friend of mine took some plans (10 years ago=plans are lost) I found on the internets and had his shop foreman make this pair of tongs for me.
    They grab, they lift, they pour. One tool = less fiddeling around = more pouring!

Tongs.jpg

I have a small electric melter arriving today.
    upload_2021-3-23_8-36-28.png

The things I plan on making are smaller, so this will help me stay nimble and play = 20 minutes to temp.
    My propane foundry took an hour to get to temp ....Zzzzzzzz. And my small propane tanks could handle maybe three sessions = sad face.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup, I still run suspendaslurry. I dont know if sodium silicate would have any weird adverse effects, but I like the way you think! Thankyou!

11. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Cool stuff. :) Did you get the old furnace kit from backyardmetalcasting.com? The crucible tong-shank design looks familiar too.

Jeff

12. JBC

JBC Copper

I always cringe when watching video's of people placing the crucible on a brick and then picking it up with another tool....goodbye toes.

jbc

13. JBC

JBC Copper

I think the SS is used for both cement sealant and building cores (with CO2). SO....it could help with the bowl-cracking concern or kill you....maybe something in between :)

Yea....I think that was the place-backyardmetalcasting.com.

And the tongs were so easy to use.