Newbie from Massachusetts

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by FKreider, Mar 25, 2019.

1. FKreider

FKreider Copper

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forums however I think that I have watched every casting video that is on youtube :)

I purchased an old Pyramid Products Co. furnace off of craigslist about a year ago and so far I have only gotten around to melting some aluminum ingots.

Hoping to 3D print and cast some steam engine parts in bronze this summer. Interested in both sand casting and eventually would like to try some lost PLA.

joe yard and Tobho Mott like this.
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome FK. Best thing to do is what you've already done, get your mitt and get in the game. Soak up what you can and learn as you go. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Plenty of help and experience here.

Best,
    Kelly

3. Welcome to The Home Foundry! Lots of resources here, and as Kelly says practice helps. You'll find lots of YouTube videos don't demonstrate the best way to do things, hanging around here you can learn about some good practices. Several steam engine guys here and everyone will try to help you. One has just tried lost PLA iron with great success. I would recommend CW Ammen's book "The Complete Handbook of Sand Casting". It's short, written in simple terms, and he knows his stuff. Lots of other good books too, but there's a lot about getting a good mold of a pattern in his book.

4. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Welcome FK.
    I have been running a Prusa MK3 almost non-stop for about a month printing steam engine patterns.
    So far it is working well.

Glad to have you here.

5. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hello!! Did somebody say lost pla?? :D:D:D

6. Redwolf947

Redwolf947 Copper

Welcome, FKreider, there are alot of very talented people here. You have a great head start.. I'm new here as well. I look forward to seeing your steam engine parts..
    Mike

7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

2019, year of the steam engine baby. Maybe I'll get in on this craze too.

Welcome!

8. PatJ

PatJ Silver

There are several folks here doing some nice iron work too, so keep that in mind, since that makes sort of the ultimate steam engine parts, and we absolutely know how to do iron here.

9. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward forward to seeing what you will make.

Jeff

10. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Welcome to the nuthouse! At least, I am pretty sure nearly everyone pursuing molten metal is a little bit crazy. But, we are a well-behaved fringe group that realizes WE have to support each other to help cope with THEM!;)

Denis

oldironfarmer likes this.
  11. joe yard

joe yard Silver

I for one would like to strongly disagree with Melterskelter! I along with most on the form are not a “ little bit crazy”.
    I, as most others here are 100% crazy. Why else would we spend $$$ and countless hours to pure minimal amounts of metals to make small castings?
    My wife and the feds made me give up my other hobby, improvised explosives.
    Joe

12. At least it's you and me, Joe. And Jason...

Jason likes this.
  13. Jason

Jason Gold

And CHEAP worthless metal at that!

14. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Tell me about it!! Never knew it was illegal to fill up a 4 foot tall weeble wobble punching bag (kids toy) with oxy acetylene until one "accidentally" blew up when there was a cop just a couple block away.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. Jason

Jason Gold

Now they banned bump stocks!:mad: Can't a decent guy have fun anymore??:rolleyes:

I guess we can create a fake story about some "hate crime" and waste tons of money on the investigation and get let off with a slap on the wrist. :rolleyes:

16. I'm happy as long as I still have my stash of calcium carbide.:rolleyes:

17. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I keep a supply of that to use in my old carbide miner's headlamp.
    It works great in caves, and gives a very broad and even light.

18. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Wait!!! This is Illegal :eek: Guess I have one less Hobby. That settles it I need to get a Prusa now! try this lost PLA all the kids are doing now.

Welcome aboard!!

19. FKreider

FKreider Copper

I have a CR-10 3d printer and I have been pretty pleased overall for the money spent. I thought about buying a printer for about 3 years before finally biting the bullet. I was afraid it was going to turn into ANOTHER hobby that I did not need or want however I now see it an indispensable method for patternmaking.

I know what you guys are talking about as far as the craziness goes! I have spent large amounts of time and money driving all over the place acquiring all kinds of tools and metal working machinery because I want to be able to make any part from scratch! The man with the most stuff (tools) at the end wins right?!

20. That's me!!

Had a new friend visit the shop and he said "You win!" What? Then he quoted that.

Hey, I'm not ready to place my entry yet.:eek: