Newbie from New Zealand

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Dazz, Feb 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jason

Jason Gold

Well... Welcome to my world buddy. Most of the guys here are still playing in the sandbox and just a few of us walk on 2 legs and cast with ceramic shell. :p
    The issue you might have will be getting your hands on the materials. I ONLY run ceramic shell, but I'm doing it with bronze. Iron is no different except it uses a different slurry. The company you need to find is Ransom & Randolph. They are based in Ohio, but have facilities all over the world. https://www.ransom-randolph.com/

There is more equipment necessary with ceramic shell, but it's worth it. You'll will need a way to preheat the shells and hold it at that temp while you are melting metal. When the metal is ready, it gets dumped into the preheated shell. So you'll probably opt for an old electric pottery kiln. About this slurry... This is not something you can make. Back in the day, slurry had to be mixed and kept being stirred pretty much 24/7. Today, things are different and you can buy small amounts that will last for a year or two with only occasional mixing... (say once a month) That combined with a couple of different silica grain sizes and you are off and running. Of course, the wax work is the other half of the show. You might swing by my youtube channel and grab a six pack. I've done quite a bit of tutorial stuff on ceramic shell. You will be running ZR suspendaslurry https://www.ransom-randolph.com/slurries for iron work. Other stuff uses FS material. Yes, some have cast iron in FS (david I think) but if you are going to just run iron, get the right stuff.

Again, getting your hands on the slurry might be tricky or expensive, but it can be done. The slurry comes in the heaviest 5 gallon pail you have ever picked up. This stuff is DENSE! The silicas come in 50lb bags and you will need one of each size to work a 5 gallon pail of slurry. Hope some of this gives you a push in the right direction. One last thing, they WILL NOT mail slurry if there is a chance the stuff could freeze in transit. It supposedly ruins it. I'm out of slurry at the moment and still stuck in winter months here. Good luck!

Jason

2. Yeah, Jason. Every time I try to stand up I fall over. What are these brown things in the sand box?

Very ambitious project, Dazz!

3. Jason

Jason Gold

4. Dazz

Dazz Copper

Hi
    I don't to "easy" projects.
    I could go 2 ways here. I could try the sand path but I think the thin casting thickness and complexity of most cast parts would make the chances of success low.
    I can see shell casting is going to be more expensive, but the chances of success much higher.

The factory drawings identify over 60 patterns. The simpler ones (eg gears, flywheel etc) that were cast on the full size steam wagon I will machine from solid. The thing is that I will only be casting complex parts, most thin walled. All iron.

Feedback welcome.

Dazz

Attached Files:

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Go for it! Once you crack open your first shell and it's a success, you'll wonder why people mess with sand! Joking aside, it is a sloooow process and costs a bit more, but the results speak volumes. Shell is only eclipsed by solid block investment and that would be really expensive for what you are planning. If you watched some of my videos, you probably say I was able to cast 1/8" thin stuff on my first go with bronze... (Jeffs light switch cover)

6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

And then there is those of us who would say, look at the part and identify the best casting process for that part....

joe yard likes this.
  7. Dazz

Dazz Copper

Hi
    I am taking a broader view at each part and asking if I can machine, fabricate or cast it? There parts that I can machine or fabricate. There are parts I think I could sand mold. All parts I could sand mold can be shell molded. I only want and need to be good at one process.

Part of the reason is that I don't have the space for the equipment required for different processes. Part of the reason is that I will have greater chance of failure half knowing 2 processes than if I just focus on being good at one.

There is no right answer for everyone and everything. Each to their own.

Dazz

8. Dazz

Dazz Copper

Hi Jason

Thank you for the tips and information but I found your video on the pour disturbing. Too many trip hazards in the work area and insufficient safety clothing. Someone could get seriously hurt.
    Just saying.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

lol, My garage, my rules. We call it taking responsibility for one's own actions. Don't watch the guys in india pouring hot metal with flip flops on. Now that's disturbing.

10. Dazz

Dazz Copper

Hi Jason
    Is that what you would tell your friend seen helping you in the video?
    I suspect he is relying on you to keep him out of harms way so he doesn't get hurt.

You obviously have good hand skills. How hard would it be to make/buy some basic protective clothing?

11. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

I missed something here. What video are you talking about? I don't see one linked anywhere in this thread, and Jason has been covered head to toe in aluminized kevlar PPE and pouring solo in all his molten bronze pour videos that I recall.

Jeff

Jason likes this.
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah Jeff that's what I was thinking. :confused: I practice mock pouring operations long before I even fire up the furnace. I rehearse every step from pulling the shells, to maneuvering the crucible. I will admit the scariest and dumbest thing I do is balancing the crucible on a spare plinth so I can pick it up with the lifting tool. I will be making a larger sand filled bed on wheels just so if it ever takes a tip, I don't send molten bronze across a concrete driveway. As far as tripping hazards, not here. I'm the guy that identifies stupid shit people pouring hot metal do. Remember this UNIVERSITY? Now THIS is dumb and very dangerous!

This is what I wear pouring metal.
    20150110_171108.jpg

13. Dazz

Dazz Copper

14. Peedee

Peedee Silver

You got the wrong guy, lol!

15. PatJ

PatJ Silver

LOL, we won't name any names, but that isn't Jason.......

Well its all good you know, we are just learning as we go here.
    I hope you don't watch my videos.

Here is one of mine.
    Crazy stuff, I know, that is why I like to do it.
    I run with scissors too.
    This is pretty much a video about how NOT to cast metal, and it has a subtitle "How to die from zinc fumes in one easy melt".

16. Jason

Jason Gold

LMFAO.... NOT ME! I not only run with scissors, but thursday night, I did 247 miles in just a shade over three hours. IN A CAR! The same trip takes me 42mins in an airplane. :rolleyes:

17. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I hope you had your seatbelt on Jason, bodies are so much easier to identify when they are in one piece and strapped to a seat ;)

Jason likes this.
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

You know it... It's easy out here to cover some serious ground in a short time. Long, boring straight roads with speed limits of 75 and they won't usually mess with you unless your hitting 85. Hammer down. We have sections of I-10 here that are 80mph! Pretty wild to see big rigs running 90! Makes me miss living in Germany, cruising at 140-160km was an everyday thing in a 20yr old beater bimmer.

We have a saying.... "The pole is the goal" (that thing is called the barber pole, it's max indicated airspeed) Funny this one doesn't have the pole. hmmm
    This was taken back in my freight hauling days. This was flying the ILS approach into Louis Armstrong in New Orleans. Looks like I'm a little left of course. IMAG0386.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  19. Peedee

Peedee Silver

When I was repping the general rule was to keep it under 100mph and keep your eyes peeled. I would cover some serious mileage in a day unless the meetings were in London! Our HGVs have mandatory 59mph speed limiter fitted so you often come up behind what the French call 'elephant racing' where one tries to slowly overtake the other.

20. Guster

Guster Silver

Kia ora mate. Just joined the forum myself, look forward to seeing what you get up to. I'm Auckland based but also in touch with a few other NZers.

NZ presents some interesting challenges in sourcing stuff around the country. My approach has been very DIY for that reason. Besides having access to making a lot of things for myself.