Obligatory newbie hello post

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by JWSmythe, May 12, 2021.

1. JWSmythe

JWSmythe Lead

Hi all.

I've been casting for a few years. One of our members on a FB group said that this place is interesting, so I thought it was having a look around here.

I have a few furnaces. The first one I built into an old 55 gallon drum when I was starting out. A couple commercially built furnaces. A little tabletop electric melter that's nice to use in the workshop. And an old sauce pan over a camp stove, for melting pewter.

I'm planning on making a couple more, to make a couple tutorial videos on how to do it. I think I'm to the point where I can convey useful knowledge in the video, rather than the abundance of first-time builders pretending to be experts (*cough*King of Random*cough*), but making huge mistakes. Even though my first build was built well, with the right materials, it wasn't perfect. It is too tall, because I was starting with the idea that I wanted to cast, and will use bigger crucibles later.

I've been casting in petrobond, and some graphite molds that I CNC'd. So far I've worked with aluminum, brass, and pewter.

I've been making stuff since I was a kid. I didn't have any exposure to casting back then, so I didn't start until just a few years ago.

I'm nowhere near being an expert, but I will try to be useful to newcomers, sharing what I do know. And I'm hoping to learn things from people with more experience than me. As with everything, there are probably people who know more than me, and I'd like to learn.

In the Dunning-Kruger effect scheme, I'm past "Mount Stupid", and well into the side where I know a lot, but recognize that there's a lot that I don't know, and haven't experienced yet.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Welcome to the show. We have members at all experience levels and there is lots to learn for everyone here. But we do like pictures!
    Don't worry, you won't find any youtube "stars" here that's for sure. Those guys are way too smart for the likes of us!:rolleyes::p

Well, we do actually have one or two, but these guys are truly at the top of their game. None of that coin or ingot casting bs either.;)

David McCauley likes this.
  3. Rob Hall

Rob Hall Copper

Welcome! Sounds like you're on your way and at least know what NOT to imitate. Watched a TKOR vid the other day for the first time in ever....Need to take more time between watching those....