Play name that part!

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, Jun 4, 2022.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Does anyone want that little circuit board or the elevator controls? If not, I'm just going to chuck 'em.

2. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

Spooky is an understatement!
    Maybe my risk factor tolerance is less than yours but there is no way I'd put that contraption in my house or shop without a proper hydraulic system. Depending on a hose not rupturing at some point in the future, even if they are high quality, is just a poor way to do this especially since there are proven methods to eliminate the hose rupture risk.

Two quick reads from an even quicker Google:
    https://whyps.com/counterbalance-valve-guide
    https://www.powermotiontech.com/hyd.../21887669/understanding-counterbalance-valves

What I called residual pressure valves above are more properly called counter balance valves.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Even with fancy valve work, aren't you still relying on the integrity of the hoses to keep the cylinders extended? I see how if one leaks, the other is has to overcome the force which should let it down slowly. I think they called it driftdown.

Ya see, in the aircraft world, stuff like our landing gear goes over center like your elbow. That keeps them from collapsing on the ramp. Stuff like flaps and other stuff is held via fluid lock.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  4. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

No. The valving is mounted to the cylinder via hard lines, or better, a welded dedicated fitting.

I too have some aircraft design experience and understand the concept of single point failure. While the valve mounting could still fatigue/crack from vibration the probability is far less than having a flex line rupture.
    There are still possible single point failures - kind of like 737 jack screw elevator trim. I've had to go to the field to lower man lifts that had hose failure leaving the boom stuck in the air. But stuck i the air and having to use a second man lift to retrieve personal is much better than the other failure mode.

Just to be clear, I like the idea of the lift in general, just not the implementation. I had actually planned something similar for getting vehicles and heavy equipment into the basement of a 2 level shop and my grandfather designed a local Chrysler dealer building about 80 years ago that had the body shop on the second floor.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

These actuators are single sided. I dont think I could use something like this on them...
    With only fluid on one side, I dont see how it would work. Hell I'd be less spooked out if let's say one blew a hose and it didnt take out the other actuator at the same time. That would require two feeds and some kind of synchronization setup I think.

A mechanical automatically engaging safety could be easier provided I could get it to disengage without have to go back up again just to lower the thing. It's no 2 post car lift that's for sure. They plow tons of engineering in those knowing some poor bastard has to work 8hrs a day under it. I think the idea here is no one should ever be under it except for installation or repair. Fold down temporary arms should suffice in that case.

6. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

Might be the easier way - definitely cheaper. Some sort of pneumatic lever on the ratchet mechanism that fails locked?
    Too bad there isn't a port on the top of the cylinders.

They should have hired Otis to design the thing, or at least copied his work. ;)

Back to casting talk................:cool:

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Adding a port is not a big deal.. I just dont know if the seals are in place on that side. I bet these actuators are 200+ lbs each. They are enormous!:eek:

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Looking a little different now... I had to junk the original box, my VFD wouldn't fit inside. For the small amount of time
    this will be operational, I'm not going to bother cutting holes in the box. That will only let in dirt and collect dust.
    Anyways, the box locks and everything can be run from my phone, but still requires a key to connect the contactor.
    The contactor only supplies 240 power to the VFD.

Box mounted to the side is indications and control:
    Red-In transit going up, then proximity sensor cuts the VFD control and extinguishes the light
    Green - full down on the legs, inch timer removes the relay which cuts the solenoid, thus leaving the green light on.
    Blue - Bluetooth connected
    White - 24vdc is live
    E-stop,- kills power to relays along with bluetooth board via 24vdc transformer and VFD control wire for up.
    Key - Operates contactor for VFD

Manual switches can run the show if necessary and above the power supply is a digital 240vt voltmeter and amp gauge,
    Bottom left is 240vt CB, 120vt CB, 2 relays, Bluetooth controller
    The controller still has another relay for the disco lights. Might have to pass on the smoke.

20220701_043636.jpg

16566683357102051658571240909755.jpg

16566682702234570558292891073939.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    Tops and Mark's castings like this.
  9. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

What happened to the elevator music? I suppose that can be on the phone these days too...

Jason likes this.