Portable Flask Vibrator

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by PortaMelt, May 20, 2022.

1. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Looks good Bruce, looking forward to seeing a clip of it running on YouTube.
    The sound, the fury, that smell of 2 cycle oil in the air...

2. PortaMelt

PortaMelt Copper

Well thank you :)

LOL... Yea, it should be fairly cool :) However, I do need to buy another carburetor :( Oh well, that is just the way it goes sometimes

3. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

My pressure washer is on its second carb and doing quite well after sitting for a winter if that is an encouragement. I have also decided that if it isn't in a car the small motors and motorcycle engines get 91 non-oxy gasoline.

4. PortaMelt

PortaMelt Copper

I am not all that discouraged :) I know that with a new carb, it is going to run perfectly and last for several years, as long as I take care of it. The only discouragement is that it is a fairly rare carburetor and a bit expensive. I am getting a brand new one directly from the manufacturer, Walbro. I usually take fairly good care of my two cycle engines, but I overlooked this one because it was free and a partial tool. Lesson learned ;)

As for the fuel, I normally mix regular gas with the two cycle oil, and try to remember to run it out of the fuel system before it has a chance to go stale. This usually works well for me as long as I remember, but when I forget to properly care for the tool, that is when the problems start :)

One thing is certain, two cycle engines need to be properly maintained, otherwise they run poorly or not at all :) Throughout the years, I have researched and worked on two cycle engines quite a bit, which has been quite a blessing in hindsight, because I think a lot of people overlook the simple things, which cause major problems. And if they are not running right, they surely can be aggravating :)

I don't know if you noticed, but the two cycle engine that I used for this project, has "Speed Start" technology :) which means that I can use a drill to start the engine, instead of using the pull start :) , which might prove to be handy for this old man ;)

5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I replaced my last Walbro with a $20 online cheapie to get me out of a jam. Snowblower. Bolted up and ran right out of the box. I’ve been lucky and gotten away with it for 5 years.

Tops likes this.
  6. PortaMelt

PortaMelt Copper

Normally, I would go to ebay and take a gamble, but I want this engine to run exactly like it was intended to run, with the exception of being slightly out of balance ;) I asked Walbro for part numbers of acceptable, inter-changable carburetors, but instead, they gave me a link to a new carburetor ;)

7. PortaMelt

PortaMelt Copper

I finally got around to designing and drawing my new shakeout box layout, which is shown below. This layout includes an upper portion for flask vibration and mould casting, and a lower portion for shaking out the flask. Although I am certain that it will be unadvisable by most ;) , after very careful selection of my vibratory springs, I intend to do both the vibration of the flask and the pouring of the mould upon these springs. When placing the flask upon the springs, I will ensure that the 6 gallon flask handle is positioned to the left side of the shakeout box. After casting, I will lift up on the flask handle, grab the flask from the bottom, tilt the flask on two of the vibratory springs, and empty the flask into the shakeout (sand containment) area. In preparation for the next pour, I will properly position the flask on the vibratory springs once again and start sifting the sand reclaimed from the contained shakeout area. If casting on the springs provide me any problems, I will simply eliminate them and vibrate the flask without them.

Shakeout Box.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  8. PortaMelt

PortaMelt Copper

In addition to the layout above, here is the layout for my ingot pouring box, which is also meant to contain sand. I doubt that I will ever clean or maintain this sand, but I don't want other contaminants to get into it.

EDIT: Prior to pouring any ingots, I will also be dumping my skimmed dross into this box.

Ingot Pouring Area.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  9. PortaMelt

PortaMelt Copper

UPDATE

My new carburetor for the flask vibrator finally arrived yesterday. Later in the evening, I bolted it up, and this afternoon, I gave it a test run. It needed a couple tries to get the gas where it needed to be, but after that, it ran like a new motor, with the exception of the intended vibration. Judging from my imagination, vibration at idle should be about perfect, and vibration at full throttle is most likely excessive :) I believe it will do the job ;)

I am currently taking a smoke break from cutting all the pieces necessary for my sandboxes. I have all the 1X4s cut, for the outer perimeters. Now I just neeed to cut the plywood inlays, glue and screw it all together, caulk up any gaps, and then I should be close to being able to cast comfortably.

However I still need to make a sand sifter for the flask and I also need to create a quick and easy perimeter for my pre-heating grill. I will be using this grill at a temperature of approx. 500F to remove moisture from ingots, scrap metal, ingot moulds, tools, etc..., wherever moisture can possibly accumulate. Safety First!!! ;)